G.ho.st

Kahai

Distinguished Member
G.ho.st - Home Page, Virtual Computer (VC), Web OS (WebOS) and Online Storage

I found this over my spring break, seem very interesting

It is Global Hosted Operating SysTem. you get 3 GB of a HD partition and a 3 GB email

when/if you register, please, oh please have me as your referrer, my G.ho.st ID is toofuairi.

Please? (i will ge bonuses on space for everyone i refer)

It offers a FTP server to upload and Download files.

Last edited:
I have seen a few WebOS's like this. There was a Linux based one not long ago. Cant remember its name.

This is nice, long time ago (like 5-7 years) I was reading about how Google had an idea like this and microsoft didn't like it at all :tongueout: If we could have good OS like that, why would we need local OS?

Why couldn't you access your files on your local HDD trough WebOS? If that wouldn't be possible, WebOS wouldn't be that advanced, IMO.

Current data communication networks aren't anywhere near fast enough to load the complete UI and all media resources over the internet. And even if they were, accessing web resources has such a (relatively) high latency (time until the first bit of data that is sent reaches its destination) (0.03-0.9 seconds) that it'd be a real PITA to use.

That said, there was a real nice OS X implementation online a couple of years back, I think it was a part of the KitOS or FlyAKite package, if I'm not mistaken.

Why couldn't you access your files on your local HDD trough WebOS? If that wouldn't be possible, WebOS wouldn't be that advanced, IMO.

You could. But i still would keep a local system. Net being down or not hving the net. People still use dial up and there is no way for them to use a WebOS.

To me i do not trust something like that enough to give up all my freedom to a online place. Sites are getting hacked all teh time. TrendMicro got hit recently. I would never take the chace of my WebOS account getting hacked and losign any of my personal stuff or how to access it from that account.

Call me paranoid. But i do not have enough trust to cover all the hackers and the ways they can get ahold of info. I have yet to put anything really personal on my PC. I have my resume on here. That is the extent of my personal content on my PC. I ahve family pictures but those are on a encrypted drive.:??

I just think its nice for someone like me, whose school vastly limits my internet usage(no tor, no p2p, not much of anythign beside www) seeing as i can turn it into a FTP server, (something i cant do on my schools network) which might help me if i needed to transfer a large file somewhere

but, if i had those ports open, i wouldnt even think twice of using it at all lol

Back