Getting hal.dll Error on 2nd OS Drive

Razor7Tech

Hello--

I am running Windows 7 64-bit Biz on one physical drive and Windows XP 32-bit on another physical drive. W7 is my primary OS.

I am using EasyBCD 2.0 Beta for dual booting my system. I made no hardware changes to my system and last night it ran fine, but tonight, when I try to boot to the XP OS, I get an error that the <windows root>\system32\hal.dll needs to be reinstalled.

I searched online and from what I read, the boot.ini might be the culprit. Right after this happened, I tried to boot to W7 and it froze at the splash screen. I kept trying and finally it gave me the option to repair the boot file. I let that run for awhile and it finally failed and asked if I wanted to send the error to MS and then it shut down my PC.

I then tried W7 again and declined to use the repair tool and now it boots fine. I tried the repair boot file from EasyBCD and it fails too.

Does anyone have any idea how I can repair my XP drive so I can boot to it again? Without any risk to the files that are on that drive?

Thank you,

sd

EasyBCD 2.0 latest build, delete the XP entry, add it again, let Easy2 auto-configure.

You can get the latest build from here.
Its not considered "final" cause new features are added regularly.

lol--i just came back to say I can't find where to download, and voila', here's your post.

Thanks much,

sd

Addendum:

I uninstalled the previous release, installed the current, checked the settings--looked good. Rebooted, no joy. Then I remembered from a long lost post of mine to delete the previous XP boot info from EBCD. Saved it, rebooted--I'm posting this happy ending from my XP drive!

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Great, remember you haft to actually re-add the entry cause EasyBCD is just the editor, not the bootloader.

Back