Getting Ubuntu to boot

jpaquette

Distinguished Member
Over the last couple of days I've installed Ubuntu (most recent version) twice to the second partition on my second hard drive. The installation goes well and I follow the procedure outlined at http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu .

Everything goes well until I get to step four. When I select Ubuntu from the EasyBCD bootloader screen, instead of getting the grub boot load or menu I get just a grub prompt (“grub>”). As I mentioned, I did the install a second time and tried the procedure at http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu a second time with the same results.

Could someone tell me what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks for this!

Ubuntu boot

Thanks to both of you for your response,

In answer to both questions, yes, I am using a grub2 entry and I am using the most recent beta version of EasyBCD (version 2.1, build 129).

OK, can you try the latest stable? Download EasyBCD 2.0.2 - NeoSmart Technologies It's possible this was a bug introduced in 2.1 !!
NO "download there" just a next page thanking me for downloading....

Hello,
Hope you-all are doing much better than I am.

1. I was using 2.1 went to above link and ticked "download" button for 2.0.2 and NO popup for the save download

2. As important.... Thanks for your software and your support in forums....
A. XP Home Sp3 came with Asus 1000HA so I paid for it.
I installed MINT 7 because the newer distros have Grub 2 and they Ubuntu 9.10 , Mint 9 and 8 . All messed up my XP boot
Fixed XP with the greatest little app EasyBCD
But couldn't boot to distros, none of them. so deleted partitions.
Finally installed Mint 7 with Grub (plane) Installed choose it with Grub Boot screen and out of full stupidity, booted > choose XP > EasyBCD to place XP above Mint to boot after count down and . Moved XP UP. > Rebooted and . . . NO BOOT.
NO. . . F2 to get into BIOS to change BOOT to CD
NO . . . F8 because of NO BIOS boot
So I couldn’t boot Linux LiveCD????

BUT did get “Super Grub Boot CD” to Fix Win to Boot.
Now have ONLY XP Home (half goood)

EasyBCD to Fix XP boot..... got
Copy of EasyBCD 2.1 (no "download for above link for 2.0.2 just the next page thanking me for downloading, scrips allowed. )

VIEW Settings
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default:
Timeout: 10 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Microsoft Windows 7
BCD ID: {911cbca4-1f40-11e0-8cb2-0022437e94f1}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: NeoSmart Linux
BCD ID: {911cbca6-1f40-11e0-8cb2-0022437e94f1}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\nst_linux-AC1A72FA03894520C8B6A5E2A4687E48

tried to change 7 to XP in "Add/remove and got ....
"EasyBCD failed to detect a valid version of Windoes NT - 2003 on the selected drive and was unable to continue. Please select a different disk and try again."
(Kind of buggy huh after it found the XP in LIST in version before...that I just updated today with, have screen shots to prove that if you want to see them??)

XP Manager shows “linux partitions” as ”Basic” with “ / “. /home. at 1253.91 GB (yes it says GBs) but as “FREE Space,” and my “D:\ Data” is no file system and can’t be formatted and READS 1651.44 GB (yes that says GiG Bytes and not MBs. With tiny C:\ at 48.83 GB (correct!)

THAN in LiveCD, Ubuntu 9.10, or Mint 8. . . Linux does NOT see any Partitions, only 149 GBs UNALLOCATED space. with ... GET THIS... “NO Operating System Installed” < yes that is what Linux Thinks..... as I write this on XP....

SO what do I do, beside marry a super female Tecky! Cant find one!

Thanks for any help to get Linux back or XP to work... correctly in a Viata / 7 app?

PS....Only got one (1) "".bmp"" image to load out of 4 with combined total of 4.5 MBs..

Attachments

• ion.bmp
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
@ bornfree
Do you have Vista or W7 ?
EasyBCD's only useful function on an XP-only Windows is "Install XP bootloader to the MBR" if you've broken it with a Linux install.
Every other function requires a BCD (part of Vista/7 - not yet invented in XP).
If you want to multi-boot XP/Linux, you can do it through NTLDR/boot.ini if you're a bit of a whizz with the XP loader, but why bother when installing Linux by default will pick up and multi-boot XP for you through Grub ?
Also, please see the sticky for advice on attaching screenshots as .jpg please.

EasyBCD's only useful function on an XP-only Windows is "Install XP bootloader to the MBR" if you've broken it with a Linux install.
Exactly what happened. I broke XP MBR when I installed Mint / Linux. My fault totally!

If you want to multi-boot XP/Linux, you can do it through NTLDR/boot.ini if you're a bit of a whizz with the XP loader, but why bother when installing Linux by default will pick up and multi-boot XP for you through Grub ?
Grub2 has hundreds of "known" problems of braking the boot order that has been reported over in the Ubuntu and Mint forums, but the linux people are kind of hush hush about the bug toward XP with Grub2. And I am far from being a "whizz" at anything to do with dual booting and NTLDR/boot thingys? :??

Also, please see the sticky for advice on attaching screenshots as .jpg please.
OK thanks..... I changed the .BMP / bitmap ext to .btm but I lost everything when I put in the Asus Restore disk anyway but I'll go and learn how to do that.
Thanks again for every suggestion!

Still no go!

I just tried it again—complete installation from scratch of Ubuntu followed by the same procedure. This time I got “starting cmain,” then a series of “inconsistent data” errors from grub2 and then, once again, the grub prompt.

"inconsistent data" errors usually mean something is wrong with your partition.... you sure your hard disk is OK?

Inconsistent data error

I think so. I tried running Ubuntu prior to changing the MBR with EasyBCD and it worked fine. I also reformatted the relevant partitions with the Ubuntu installation. I suppose I could check with BootIt.

Incidentally, I used the latest EasyBCD beta (version 2.1).

No inconsistent data

I just tried booting into Ubuntu twice and this time I didn't get any “inconsistent data” error at all—just the grub prompt.

Back