Going Back To XP After Upgrade

Jane

freak? :huh:
I think you mean geek.. all of sound that way, so don't worry :grinning:
(yes, she-geeks too :crazy: )

oh, and enjoy your independence day too :smile:

eltgmoney

HELP!!

I had windows xp installed on the D: drive. I got windows vista and installed it on the c: drive. It doesn't have to option to boot my windows xp. I downloaded easy BCD and added the windows directory to it
Now at bot i have option to load windows XP...BUT.....when i try it says something about NTLDR being missiing or corrupt. so i copied the NTLDR and NTDETECT files from my xp cd to the D: drive and still same problem....can you help me boot my d:/windows ?????

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Hi etlgmoney,

Welcome to NeoSmart Technologies...

You're going to need these files too:

Code:
\ntldr  
\NTDETECT.COM  
\MSDOS.SYS  
\CONFIG.SYS  
\AUTOEXEC.BAT

eltgmoney

I aded those still same problem...
I got it to boot using fixntldr cd and using the third option. I do not want to have to do this every time I tart my pc though. I also installed all of the files from the cd onto my D: drive and tried booting normall through the bcd thing when i select windows xp same error about ntldr

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Ah wait...

Copy these same files to C:\ as well (where C:\ is the drive that Windows XP calls C:\)

So if I understand all that I have read so far about Vista and upgrading / removing Vista....Since my Son did an "Upgrade" over Windows XP Pro the only way to get him back to Win XP is to Format / Use the Dell Recovery CD's to reinstall WinXP onto his computer?

Jim

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Hi Jim..

Yeah, really sorry about that, but upgrade installs cannot be undone unless you have a backup somewhere...

Welcome to NeoSmart Technologies BTW, and if you have any other questions or need help with that, feel free to start a new topic.

Take care, and best of luck!