GPT Support

In the past with Windows 7, I could use the built in "wbadmin start backup" to create a VHD copy of a machine, for re-use as a direct boot or in hyper-v.
(wbadmin would normally create two VHDx if a reserve partition and an OS partition existed.)

No probs, this worked. even if no reserved partition existed by using "bootrec v:\windows /s V:" when the VHD was mounted in windows.

Come windows 8.1, it now creates a GPT VHDX.
When used in hyper-v this does not boot.
=> Does EASIBCD support GPT boot ?
=> Can easibcd help here ? (e.g. write boot partition BCD deployement)
(if referencing a onedrive picture works this will be visible, it shows the VHDX which has been mounted with twp patitions, a 128M one and a 60G one - C: drive)
redir
18Ndnfi

I tried to boot the vhdx directly adding a EasiBCD entry and it has been sitting at the splash screen the last hour.

Thanks !!

>> OK using the Beta made a difference.
I now have sysprep issues (popups) so I am going to do a fresh save to ensure the original image was not syspreped by me.

>> What I would like some guidance on if the GPT VHDx can be made Hyper-v enabled ?
(now you may consider this outside your scope, fair enough, i.e. when I do an image, I like to have the option of direct VHDx boot or to run under hyper-v)

Thanks

redir

vhdx.png

Last edited:
It's not showing.

Can you please upload it via the "upload a file" button here in your reply?

Update

The Beta EASyBCD version works on a GPT VHDx, it booted.

Hyper-V results :
Gen 1 - Treats VHDx as IDE file, result "Boot failure" message
Gen 2 - Treats VHDx as SCSI file, "Boot failed, EFI SCSI Device, No operating system was loaded"

Now this might be out of scope for your roadmap or something to make your tool have more features. We have 10 Pro licenses. e.g. "make file bootable" as part of BCD deployment (context stand alone bootable as in Hyper-V, Drive-2 is the mounted VHDx file)

Thanks

NB: EASyBCD takes a long time to come up (20 to 25s), I assume it is checking a,b,c
Can I suggest an "Initialising.." type splash screen.

bcddeploy.png

Edited by Moderator to correct trade name of EasyBCD product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome news, that's excellent! 2.3 is shaping up rather nicely, if I say so myself :smile:

I'm a little confused about your question regarding Hyper-V. Hyper-V wouldn't use EasyBCD's configuration - can you clarify a bit more?

And you are correct, EasyBCD must scan all drives before it loads, to generate the various drop-down menus, etc.

Hyper-v - Normal MBR disk is no problem to hyper-v. A GPT seems to be an issue yet the Hyper-V Gen 2 doco suggests it is supported.
EasiBCD can fix a MBR disk to be bootable, I assume that if a MBR disk existed with no reserve partition, this would not be an issue
"bcdboot c:\windows /s C:" will fix this and as long as the OS partition is marked active.
I was implying an equivalent "fix" to a GPT VHDx would be useful.
I have a support request with Microsoft on the GPT boot details needed for Hyper-v. I will update this post if I get something useful

Bootup - I suggest a splash screen as I have a few times double clicked again because I was not sure by desktop icon was running the program.

Regards

So if you mounted a VHDX in Windows, and then used EasyBCD to deploy the BCD to it, that wouldn't fix it?

Back