Grub Prompt Instead of Boot

Dissent

Grub Prompt Instead of Boot [SOLVED]

I installed fedora 16 on the same HDD as windows 7, and I added an entry to the list using EasyBCD, but all I get when I try to boot fedora is a grub prompt.

Code:
grub>

I made sure to pick GRUB2 as the "type" when adding the entry since fedora 16 now uses GRUB2.

Here's my partition layout at present:
  • sda1 - Windows
  • sda2 - Games
  • sda3 - /boot (installed GRUB2 into the boot sector)
  • sda4 - extended
  • sda5 - physical volume for LVM containing /, /home, swap
Here's the list of entries:

Code:
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 5 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Fedora
BCD ID: {1659f0fb-0ffa-11e1-923b-89e06da92df0}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr

I'm quite new to linux and dual booting in general, so any help (in layman's terms) would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I had this same problem about a month ago with Fedora 16 BETA. The problem is that the version of grub2 that Fedora uses puts grub into /boot/grub2 instead of the usual /boot/grub. What I did to fix this was to hex edit the ANG0 file on the main windows boot drive and change the /boot/grub entries to /boot/grub2. Works like a charm. Good luck.
SB

I had this same problem about a month ago with Fedora 16 BETA. The problem is that the version of grub2 that Fedora uses puts grub into /boot/grub2 instead of the usual /boot/grub. What I did to fix this was to hex edit the ANG0 file on the main windows boot drive and change the /boot/grub entries to /boot/grub2. Works like a charm. Good luck.
SB
Thanks for the reply, but I am totally clueless as to how I would go about changing those entries. Sorry for being such a noob :|

EDIT: Do I use something like this?

Windows Hex Editor for Programmers, Power Users

Last edited:
Yes that should he fine just do a search for the string grub and you should find entries that look like /boot/grub/blah blah blah just add a 2 to the end of grub there should be multiple entries I changed them all make sure to make a backup of the file first in case you mess it up. Good luck

Now this is kind of funny. I just tried adding Fedora to the list with GRUB Legacy as the type, and now it boots perfectly!

Back