Having Trouble Dual-Booting Windows Vista and Windows 7 (Public Beta 1;Build 7000)

Hello. I'm having trouble w/ EasyBCD and getting my Boot Selection screen up half of the time. By "half of the time" I mean that sometimes, seemingly randomly, when I restart my computer as soon as it goes through the BIOS and looks at the boot file, it says the classic error "NTLDR is Missing. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to Restart." and other times it will let me choose between my Vista and Windows 7 OS'. When it does give me the NTLDR error, I have to use my Windows 7 disc and click the "Repair" option for it to even come up with the boot selection screen again. I don't get it..

But,as you can probably see from the report that the program gave me below, I have Windows 7 installed on a completely separate 40 GB HDD, b/c I don't have enough room really left on my Windows Vista HDD.

Also, I used VistaBootPRO previously before using EasyBCD, but I dunno if that affects anything or not.

Below is what it copied to the clipboard:

Code:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device                  partition=D:
path                    \bootmgr
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default                 {923e56e4-d647-11dd-b8f0-af4816cf7064}
resumeobject            {923e56e0-d647-11dd-b8f0-af4816cf7064}
displayorder            {923e56e4-d647-11dd-b8f0-af4816cf7064}
                        {923e56e1-d647-11dd-b8f0-af4816cf7064}
toolsdisplayorder       {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout                 30
resume                  No

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {923e56e4-d647-11dd-b8f0-af4816cf7064}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows Vista Home Premium
bootdebug               No
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \WINDOWS
resumeobject            {9b621d4e-d635-11dd-ab23-806e6f6e6963}
nx                      OptOut
pae                     ForceDisable
vga                     No
quietboot               No
sos                     No
debug                   No

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {923e56e1-d647-11dd-b8f0-af4816cf7064}
device                  partition=D:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows 7
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
recoveryenabled         Yes
bootdebug               No
osdevice                partition=D:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {923e56e0-d647-11dd-b8f0-af4816cf7064}
nx                      AlwaysOff
pae                     ForceDisable
vga                     No
quietboot               No
sos                     No
debug                   No

PLEASE help!

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Okay Windows 7 isnt in Beta 1 stages yet. The Official testers have not even gotten it and it most certainly isnt a Public Beta. :wink:

The Windows 7 Build 7000 is just a leak from someone who got the ISO at some point. It is not confirmed yet to be the Official Beta. Even if it does turn out to be. It isnt a Public Beta.

While it is confirmed that EasyBCD 1.7.2 works with Build 6801 (The Milestone 3 Build) it is not confirmed to work with the leaked Build 7000 as of yet. When the Beta official starts then the creator of EasyBCD will announce if EasyBCD is fully compatible with Windows 7 Beta 1 at that time.

Till then there is no real way to trouble shoot or fix these issues cause it isnt even known if EasyBCD 1.7.2 works with the leaked build.

Your bootmgr is on the W7 disk.
The NTLDR message is an XP message.
There is no NTLDR on Vista or W7 (hence the error.)
Something is rewriting your MBR with the XP version of the IPL instead of Vistas.
I'd do a very thorough check for viruses in your place.
There is no way that Vista will ever put the wrong MBR in place.
Wherever you got W7 from may have been pre-contaminated with some malware which hits the MBR.

Terry60, I am 110% positive that there are 0 Viruses on either Hard Drive.
My guess is that this error was caused by VistaBootPRO?

Regardless of how it happened, how may I go fixing this issue?

And, Makaveli, this leaked version is GOING to be the Public Beta on it's actual set release date and IS Beta 1.

The EULA saying that it is Beta 1 means nothing. I have several builds of the Vista Beta that the EULA said it was a different beta version that it was. It said in the EULA that it was Beta 2 but yet on the desktop it still said Beta 1.

Being as that may it still wasnt released to the public by Microsoft in any way. there is no link provided by Microsoft to the public for download of this build. Therefor it can not be constituted as anything other than a leaked build.

I am not trying to cause a fight or anything. I am just stating what is know. The leaked build in the EULA says Beta 1. Yes i am not arguing that at all. But that can be changed as can the build number given to the tester. If that will happen we wont know till the testers get it. Which wont even be for a few more days. The rumors are either the 5th or the 7th for the build to be released to the testers. At that point in time it can be confirmed if the leaked Build 7000 is the Beta 1 or not. Till then it is just speculation based on something read in the EULA which can be changed.

As for it being public there is no proof that this will be a public build. There are rumors that Microsoft will release it to the public at the end of the month. Again rumors. Not hard core facts.

So until we can confirm that the leaked build is the beta build can we start to work to get Build 7000 working with EasyBCD. As of right now it is not known if they are compatible.

So there is no way we can suggest a fix cause it is not known if Build 7000 is fully compatible with EasyBCD. It will not be known until the Beta Officially starts and the creator confirms that it is working. Until that point in time the only suggestions we can say are to try to recreate the bootloader.

"Recreate the bootloader"?

And, btw, what I said in the last post of mine is how I would fix what Terry60 said about my MBR being messed up. Idk much about the MBR at all, but surely there's someway to fix or replace it, right?

There are a few steps listed in the Wiki about recreating the boot loader and repairing it. They might work. They are for Vista right now. But seeing as how Win7 is a lot like Vista in its beta stages it might work.

There is no guarantee that it will. But at least it is a option.

Repairing the Windows Vista Bootloader - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

It could be that this was caused by VistaBoot Pro. There is no way to confirm that that is working with Win7 at this time either. So it is very hard to try and trouble shoot a boot error with Win7 being that it is still a Beta and not everything is final. So what worked with Build 6801 might not work with Build 7000 as they might have made changes to it.

Best option right now is to try those steps in the Wiki. See if it will be of any use to at least try.

VistaBootPro was also written by Guru, and then basically stolen from him. It's like an early version of EasyBCD. Neither Easy nor Pro becomes part of the system. They're both just utilities for editing the BCD.
Whichever one you used to set up the dual-boot, neither remains active in the OS, so won't dynamically alter the boot once you've closed it.
Like using notepad to set up boot.ini, any corruption in future will have absolutely nothing to do with the utility you happened to use in the first place.
EasyBCD will repair the MBR for you (see the link Mak gave), but I'd still be concerned about what's in there corrupting it as you're running your system.
Mak is our resident Hijack-This diagnostic analyst and might be prevailed upon to check your output if you'd like to check that your PC is as clean as you think.

Strange.. I tried all 3 types of fixing the NTLDR error that I was having that was in that Wiki Link you gave me, but none of them were successful. Well, they rid of the NTLDR error, but for some unknown reason to me, it boots straight into my Windows Vista drive and doesn't even give me the choice to choose between it and Windows 7.

Does this perhaps mean that Windows 7 build 7000 is incompatible w/ this version of EasyBCD, or is this some other type of issue that's unrelated to it being Windows 7 that could fix my problem?

As i have stated Windows 7 Build 7000 is not confirmed to work with EasyBCD yet. So it could be that this version doesnt work with Build 7000. It isnt known. The creator of the software has not confirmed it working so there is no way to say for sure if it is or isnt. We just dont know. At most you could try to add another entry for Vista and rename it to Windows 7.

Yeah, I just got it working. Turns out that for some reason (guessing b/c it knows it's not Vista?) when I added Windows 7 to the list of OS', it changed it's drive path to U: (Which I don't even have..), and once I changed it back to D: (The one it's really on) it worked.

Thanks for all the help here at this forum! :grinning:

MS probably prepared the EULA ahead of time so its one less thing they need to work on prior to the beta release.

"U" isn't "U:\"
It's EasyBCD shorthand for "unknown" or "undetectable" and is telling you that it needs you to say where the system is. (as indeed you did)

Yeah, that should probably be better-documented somewhere :smile:

FYI: EasyBCD works great with Windows 7, build 7000 :grinning:

Well thanks for the confirmation. I knew it did. I have used it myself. But i didnt want to claim that it worked and have you say it didnt. I wanted you to say it did for confirmation being the creator and all. :wink:

Better to hear from the maker of the program than just some lowly Forum Mod that it works. :lol:

I try. But it is the truth at times. While I help out and Mod the forums for you i am in no way a final decision maker when it comes to the software you create. So it is always better to hear it from you than me.

If you wish next time i will say that it does work. I jsut figured it would be better to hear it from the creator.

I was only teasing.. it's cool with me either way :smile:

You can always give your insight as in "it worked for me on my testings" or what not vs. "it's been declared officially compatible" but everything is OK in the end :smile:

Back