Having Trouble Dual-Booting Windows Vista and Windows 7 (Public Beta 1;Build 7000)

Well, it does indeed work for me now. But, there is one slight little mishap that I have noticed and figured that I should report for maybe future compatibility or whatever else.

When I go to boot up Windows 7 now, it uses Windows Vista's Startup/Bootup screen instead of it's own. I'm guessing this has to do with EasyBCD thinking that it is Vista, right (Since you have to say it is Vista when you go to add Windows 7 in the list of OS')??

Not really a problem, just a little "bug", or whatever you would like to call it.

But, is there any fix for this, perhaps?

Last edited:
If you put W7 on after Vista (as I assume you did), it will just have an entry in Vista's BCD to boot it.
Like putting on a second copy of Vista, it will just be added to the BCD of the first. There's no duplication of boot files for multiple copies of Vista (or W7)

I don't think it's a bug to be fixed, I think it's part of the design.
(but that's only an outsider's opinion. I have no privileged information)
(Or do you mean that the description of W7 in your boot menu is Vista ? If so you can "change settings" in EasyBCD and call it what you like)

Last edited:
No, in the Boot Menu it shows it as Windows 7, because I made it say that.
I'm talking about when Windows 7 is actually starting up; The little animation it does with the 4 colored light orbs forming into the Windows symbol. That's what it should be, but instead it's the lame Vista one with just the green loading bar and says "Copyright Microsoft Corporation".

Yes that would be a bug cause it is using the boot files from Vista to boot Win7. I am guessing.

While EasyBCD does work it isnt perfect. This is a example of what can happen when trying to make things work.

That's exactly what I figured the problem was. Which, i'm assuming will be fixed in later versions that for sure support Windows 7. Guess i'll just have to wait for that.

Thanks again for all the help here!
These forums, and this program, are awesome! :grinning:

Sincerely,

Kevin C.

Hey you guys ! Just wanted to say I love your product and I have a query. I am currently d/l Win 7 from my MSDN account and currently have a dual boot set- up with Vista and XP. Vista was loaded first and XP second. All i want to know is , when i upgrade from Vista to 7, do I have to do anything with special with Easy BCD after I upgrade the OS? Or will it still recognize XP on my other hard drive?

I'm not stating fact or anything of course, but my guess is that you wouldn't since Win 7 is still using the bcd boot proccess just as Vista did. Think back to earlier times. With each version of Windows XP and earlier the latest ntldr and ntdetect.com were required to boot the newest of the OSes on your hard drive (ie You couldn't use a ntldr that came with Win 2000 to boot XP, but XP's ntldr is capable of booting itself and any OSes before it). it would still keep the configuration after installs because it used the same boot.ini file.

Regardless, that is what you got EasyBCD for, to make editing bcd settings much simpler...

As far as i know there isnt a upgrade option with the Beta Builds. It will require a full install.

Also would like to make it known that ShadowSlayer was correct. The Beta is now live. The Build 7000 that leaked is the Beta. According to Microsoft it will be released to the public on the 9th to the first 2.5 Million people.

So he was correct as were the rumors.

As far as i know there isnt a upgrade option with the Beta Builds. It will require a full install.

I think i recall reading somewhere that Vista can be upgraded to Win 7...but i'm not positive about that, and you can correct me if i'm wrong! :wink: I will try to find it again, and post it...:smile:

Cheers.

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Yep. :smile: I was right about that! :wink: Though this is not the source i originally read from, it will say the same thing! :brows:

All about Microsoft mobile edition

EDIT: Here's another one: MS to offer FREE upgrade to Win 7 - Overclockers Forums
Turns out, though, that you wont be able to upgrade for free, until at least July...

Last edited:
How could you upgrade for free with the exception of the beta versions which act like trials? It has never been that way before...

How could you upgrade for free with the exception of the beta versions which act like trials? It has never been that way before...

Here are the facts: Report: Microsoft to do free Windows 7 upgrades

Read them yourself, so you will know i am not making this up...:wink:

Cheers! :grinning:

-Coolname007

EDIT: That is also not the original place that i read it...i read it somewhere else, as well, but so far have been unable to find it again.

Last edited:
Well if thats true that would be awesome (I guess its thier way of trying to get back attention that they lost when users who adopted Vista early experienced early issues and gave Vista a bad rep by downgrading back to XP). But lets be realistic here for a second. Why would a company that makes a good 200+ for each license sold give a new OS away for free to exisiting Vista users? It doesn't add up...

Some versions of the Windows 7 Beta are able to upgrade. Not all. Some were specifically sent out for the purpose to test the upgrade procedure. But they are the ones that are up for the Official Download. The leaked builds from what i know can not do the upgrade. The version that they have out that can do the upgrade is a Home Premium Version. Which they have sent out to test the Anytime Upgrade option.

The leaked build is straight up Ultimate which from what i have read on the Newsgroups is not for upgrades from Vista.

So while the option is there. The leaked builds lack this feature.

As for what you posted Cool.

Microsoft Corp. will offer free or discounted Windows 7 upgrades to users who buy Vista PCs after July 1, according to a Web site that has accurately predicted the company's moves in the past.

That offer is not valid for the Beta process right now. That isnt until July of this year.

So yes while there are versions of Win7 that can do the update process from everything i have seen on the Official sources. It is not for the Ultimate leaked version.

Well if thats true that would be awesome (I guess its thier way of trying to get back attention that they lost when users who adopted Vista early experienced early issues and gave Vista a bad rep by downgrading back to XP). But lets be realistic here for a second. Why would a company that makes a good 200+ for each license sold give a new OS away for free to exisiting Vista users? It doesn't add up...

I know...i too had a hard time believing it! :smile: but i think the catch is that its only for free for a certain period of time, after which it will require purchasing a license to upgrade win vista to win 7. :wink:

-Coolname007

Oh never mind this is different....

This is like Dell's Express Upgrade to Vista program, where new machines bought close to Win 7's release date are entitled to a free upgrade if users optin to take advantage of it. Most of the time you still haft to pay for shipping costs, but its still better than paying flat out for a new license.

This only applies to new machines purchased within that timeframe though, so Vista users like us are out of it unless we go buy new machines at that time.

As for what you posted Cool.

That offer is not valid for the Beta process right now. That isnt until July of this year.

Yes, i am aware of that. :smile: That is why i posted in post 32 that this option will only be available by July... :wink:

Cheers! :grinning:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Oh never mind this is different....

This is like Dell's Express Upgrade to Vista program, where new machines bought close to Win 7's release date are entitled to a free upgrade if users optin to take advantage of it. Most of the time you still haft to pay for shipping costs, but its still better than paying flat out for a new license.

This only applies to new machines purchased within that timeframe though, so Vista users like us are out of it unless we go buy new machines at that time.

hmm...evil Microsoft. :x why would they put these kind of catches on deals like this anyway? :frowning: it sucks...
Actually, i could of sworn that in the original article that i read this in, is that it could be downloaded for free, and upgraded that way...but then again, i could be wrong, and i don't want to give anyone false hopes. :wink: I will certainly try to dig up the article that i originally read it in, so we can all take a look at it...

-Coolname007

Last edited:
On a side note i can confirm that adding a entry for Windows 7 using EasyBCD causes the startup screen to use Vista's not the new Win7 one.

Will report that in the bug area.

Back