HDMI and Vista Problem

Inspecta

I am having issues with hdmi out and sound. My tv will play sounds from my computer, but when I put a dvd in the sound doesnt work. Any ideas?

Hi Inspecta, welcome to NST

What application do you use when you watch DVDs? Have you tried re-configuring your sound in the playback devices tab of the sound dialog that can be accessed from control panel -> classic view? Also check the volume of the application to make sure that it is not low or muted.

What HDMI issues are you having? You don't seem to have any, unless your audio setup ran through HDMI...

Is your DVD drive SATA or IDE ?
SATA drives will give you audio through the data connection, but IDE drives need a separate audio lead connected to your sound card or mobo integrated CD sound socket.

Is your DVD drive SATA or IDE ?
SATA drives will give you audio through the data connection, but IDE drives need a separate audio lead connected to your sound card or mobo integrated CD sound socket.

its an optiarc dvd rw ad 7563a ata and i cant get sound to play on it....other sound work though and it works when i use the regular speakers

Addendum:

if anyone has any ideas lemme know

Last edited:
Re-reading a few times, I still don't exactly know what problem you're having.
Is it the TV or the PC that has no sound from the DVD ? (and I take it you mean the PC DVD drive ?)

Last edited:
the sound is not coming out of the tv when i put a dvd in the laptops dvd player. it is connected with hdmi and i have the sound setting on hdmi out. it works for everything but what i put in the dvd player on the laptop

That's an IDE drive, so it must have an audio lead to the CD, LINE-IN, or AUX socket on your sound card (or mobo if you've integrated sound). Do you have the appropriate input un-muted in your volume mixer.

Attachments

• audio.JPG
    audio.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
this is a laptop i am using though, so would i need to open it up to run that? or is there something else? all my other sounds work through the tv speakers, just nothing from the dvd. really disappointing

Your laptop or the application you are using than must not be capable of sending out your audio through hdmi, you lack the latest driver/software to support it, or dvd playback in the application/windows is low/muted.

No, you should be able to right click on the loudspeaker icon, or your sound driver icon, in the notification area of the task bar, and open the sound mixer software.
Then check whether unmuting (or increasing the volume on each slider in turn) produces output from the DVD drive. That will be an analogue output signal, so something else in your sound parameters might need enabling. I can't give advice on exactly what or where, since the software provided for different sound cards varies so much. You'll have to play around with the options, or post back with some screen shots of the details.

Back