HELP!! Can't boot into Vista anymore!!

I had my XP installed first and vista latter install in a same HDD.
I tried to install EasyECD just because I want to hide my vista partition from xp in order to got my system restore points back. Ifollowed all the instructions form the blog
http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/hide-vista-partition-from-xp/ and copy all the exact text into the notepad for NeoGrub. Then I reboot the PC and can't boot into vista anymore!! I can just boot into XP now!Whenever vista tried to boot up, it reboot automatically!!! What can i do? please help me!!

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Hi rikiando, welcome to NST.

You need to uncomment the section that unhides the Vista drive.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
No, you just need to open the configuration file and remove the `#` from in front of those lines.

thanks for your prompt reply! but i am a rookie for this, please show me the details for tracing the configuration file. Thank you so much Computer Guru!

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Open c:\NST\menu.lst in notepad and make your changes to there.

but there are many `#` there, please tell me which `#` or lines to be deleted. thanks!

Addendum:

here is my notepad content
# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub menu.lst file, and should be located at C:\\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries
# http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD
default 0
timeout 0
title Boot XP - Hide Vista
hide (hd0,1) # SET THIS TO THE VISTA DRIVE
# Optionally repeat the above entry for all the Vista drives
chainloader (hd0,0)/ntldr # SET THIS TO THE BOOT PARTITION
boot
# Optional section
# If you include this section, you will see a second bootloader menu!
title Boot XP - Unhide Vista
unhide (hd0,1) # SET THIS TO THE VISTA DRIVE
# Optionally repeat the above entry for all the Vista drives
chainloader (hd0,0)/ntldr # SET THIS TO THE BOOT PARTITION
boot

Last edited:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
OK, that is correct.
When you reboot, you need to choose "Boot XP - Unhide Vista"

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
When you choose the Windows XP entry you created in the guide.

but NOW I cannot boot into XP either!! when i choose NeoGrub (where XP boot located), it showed a DOS prompt and said the lst list cannot be found!!
then grub> which I do not know what to do now, is my XP and vista gone? I dont want to re-install all the OS!!! please help me......

Addendum:

do i need to use any boot disc as I cannot find the c:/ drive, thank you for your patience! Mr. Computer Guru!

Last edited:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
At the grub> prompt, type in the appropriate unhide commands.

For instance, to unhide drive 0 partition 0, when you see the grub> bit type this in:
Code:
unhide (hd0,0)
You may need to do that for both the Vista and XP drives.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
You're welcome - great to hear it worked out :smile:

We're working on a one-click app to automate this entire process safely - though we've run into some serious technical limitations of the Windows XP bootloader we plan on releasing it sooner or later - you'll probably want to wait for that.

I think I am too new for this NeoGrub!! I need to backup all the important stuffs before I try this again. I almost got heart attack yesterday as I think I've lost everything in my PC:x. Waiting for your newer and safer version. Thanks!:lol: