Help me dual boot Vista x64 with Ubuntu 8.10 x64.

zmalex

Hi

My setup is this:
hd0,1 - vista recovery partition, 12gb
hd0,2 - vista x64, 200gb
hd0,3 - linux swap, 2gb
hd0,4 - ubuntu 8.10 x64, 20gb
hd0,? - about 20gb empty space (will be used to install other os later)

I have installed grub explicitly to hd0,4 using /dev/sda4 as shown in partition program. I did this by using advanced button during installation. After installing I tried adding the Linux partition it using latest EasyBCD in Vista but when I boot the boot manager said it couldn't find Ubuntu. So I re-installed grub manually by booting in with Ubuntu LIVE CD to /dev/sda4 (this is my linux partition). Installation says it finished ok.

Removed the old entry from EasyBCD and re-added a new entry but still nothing when I try to boot.

After reading some posts I downloaded EasyBCD 2 beta but this version doesn't even allow me to list devices in linux mode. It actually hangs the application and I need to kill it.

I could use some help with this.

After reading some posts I downloaded EasyBCD 2 beta but this version doesn't even allow me to list devices in linux mode. It actually hangs the application and I need to kill it.

Hi zmalex. Welcome to NST.
Could you please post the output of the following commands, run from the Power Console in the "Useful Utilities" section of EasyBCD:

Code:
MbrFix /drive 0 listpartitions  
bootpart
?

Also, please take a screenshot of the Disk Management screen, and post that as well.
This freezing affect you're experiencing when you go to the Linux tab in EasyBCD appears to be a bug in 2.0 Beta that happens when the MBR partition table is messed up, and is something we're currently working on in other threads.

-Coolname007

Addendum:

I have installed grub explicitly to hd0,4 using /dev/sda4 as shown in partition program.

(hd0,4) and /dev/sda4 are not the same. The first is the first hard drive, fifth partition, and the second is the first hard drive, fourth partition. :wink: That is because the sdxy notation begins the count for partitions starting at 1, while the (hdx,y) syntax on the other hand begins it at 0 instead for both drives and partitions.
I did this by using advanced button during installation. After installing I tried adding the Linux partition it using latest EasyBCD in Vista but when I boot the boot manager said it couldn't find Ubuntu. So I re-installed grub manually by booting in with Ubuntu LIVE CD to /dev/sda4 (this is my linux partition). Installation says it finished ok.
If your Ubuntu partition is located at /dev/sda4, then you will have needed to enter that exact location to install Grub there, or enter in "(hd0,3)" instead. Please post the output of the "sudo fdisk -l" command as well, run from the Terminal, while booted into the LiveCD, as well, while I'm thinking about it. :smile: It would be best to obtain as much information as possible, so we can have a clearer picture of your situation, in regards to the MBR partition table being messed up, if that is the case.
Removed the old entry from EasyBCD and re-added a new entry but still nothing when I try to boot.
Did you try it with checking the box called "Grub isn't installed to the MBR/bootsector" box under the Linux tab? From the description above and below, it sounds like you can acess the Linux tab itself, and create a new entry, without it freezing, just it freezes up when you go to list the devices.

Cheers,

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Hi

Yeah I meant hd0,3 that was a typo. Actually used /dev/sda4 just to be sure to get it right.

Anyhow. I have some of the info you requested. Ill gett back with the fdisk output.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\Program Files (x86)\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin>MbrFix /drive 0 listpar
titions
# Boot Size (MB) Type
1 Yes 12340 39 Unknown
2 252903 7 NTFS or HPFS
3 1905 130 Prime
4 19069 131 Linux native (usually ext2fs)

C:\Program Files (x86)\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin>bootpart
Boot Partition 2.60 for WinNT/2K/XP (c)1995-2005 G. Vollant (info@winimage.com)
WEB : Gilles Vollant software and BootPart
Add partition in the Windows NT/2000/XP Multi-boot loader
Run "bootpart /?" for more information

Physical number of disk 0 : 2c14f1e4
0 : C:* type=27 , size= 12636160 KB, Lba Pos=2048
1 : C: type=7 (HPFS/NTFS), size= 258973008 KB, Lba Pos=25274368
2 : C: type=82 (Linux swap), size= 1950858 KB, Lba Pos=543223044
3 : C: type=83 (Linux native), size= 19527007 KB, Lba Pos=547125705

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked again and the application freezes as soon as I select the Linux tab.

Attachments

• manage.jpg
    manage.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Here is the fdisk -l output

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x2c14f1e4

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 1574 12636160 27 Unknown
/dev/sda2 1574 33814 258973008 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 33815 34057 1950858 82 Linux swap / Solaris
Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda4 34058 36488 19527007+ 83 Linux

A bug in Ubuntu installer? Is there anyway to work arround this?

Sorry about that, I may have been a little to hasty in declaring it an Ubuntu bug. I thought I read "extended" in there somewhere.

Sorry about that, I may have been a little to hasty in declaring it an Ubuntu bug. I thought I read "extended" in there somewhere.

I was wondering about that...
I almost said it was the same problem too, but then I noticed all the information gave the swap partition as a primary partition, so it must actually be in this case.

Any other ideas?

-Coolname007

Addendum:

@ zmalex: What is on that 12.05 GB partition? That appears to be the partition you're booting from, but all the info given detects it as an unknown filesytem type.

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Most likely an OEM recovery partition.

Hmm...well, given the "EISA Configuration" seen in the Disk Management screenshot, its probably an Diagnostics Utility partition. But why would his boot files be on that partition?

-Coolname007

Addendum:

@ zmalex: For now, you should be able to use Bootpart to boot into Linux. Go into Disk Management, and give the 12,05 GB partition the "D" drive letter.

Then paste the following text into a Notepad (Start>All Programs>Accessories>Notepad) document:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NoExecute=OptIn /fastdetect
Save it as "boot.ini" without the quotes, and then place it into the root of your (C) partition.
Next, open up EasyBCD's Power Console again, and run the following command:

Code:
bootpart 3 D:\ubuntu.lnx Ubuntu Linux
This will write the following line to your boot.ini file:

D:\ubuntu.lnx="Ubuntu Linux"
and create a file called "ubuntu.lnx" in the root of the (D) partition. Now, when you boot, you should see a boot entry in your Vista boot menu called "Ubuntu Linux". Select that, and it should boot you right into Ubuntu. :smile:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
I would love to give the EISA partition a drive letter but it seems I cant.

Found this explanation.

Problems Managing EISA Partition on Dynamic Disks

In the "Symptoms" section of that article, it says:

After you upgrade a basic disk containing an Extended Industry Standard Architecture (EISA) partition to a dynamic disk, the partition is not displayed in the proper location and cannot be managed in the Disk Management snap-in (LDM) in Microsoft Management Console (MMC).

So apparently the problem only occurs after upgrading from a basic disk to a dynamic disk. :wink: Do you mean to say that is what you did, and that is why you can't give the EISA partition a drive letter?

-Coolname007

Hmm. Sorry, no I didnt. Missed that part.

But i figured it could be a related issue since I am not able to perform any actions on that partition.

Do you know if there is anyway of moving the boot sector from that partition or any other way of solving this?

OK, I've been able to reproduce the bug. It's something to do with how Ubuntu's "guided partition setup" resizes the partition and creates new ones.

Debugging it now.

Addendum:

zmalex, please check your email.

Last edited:
Coolname007:
No since it has no drive letter and is not mapped in anyway.

Computer Guru:
Same problem still.
When installing Ubuntu I didn't use Ubuntus guided setup but partitioned manually.

Is there anyway I can generate debug info for you guys?

Not much to post since I never get around to create a linux boot before the application crashes.

I read somewhere that you give parameters to the program when starting it which should produce more output. Something about a DevKit. Is there something like that available?

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
path \bootmgr
description Windows Boot Manager
default {6a61534b-0978-11de-a0e0-a20ea4785d02}
resumeobject {13da8a56-08ea-11de-9c41-806e6f6e6963}
displayorder {6a61534b-0978-11de-a0e0-a20ea4785d02}
timeout 30
resume No

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {6a61534b-0978-11de-a0e0-a20ea4785d02}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista (TM) Business
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {13da8a56-08ea-11de-9c41-806e6f6e6963}

Here we go:

c:\Program Files (x86)\NeoSmart Technologies\EasyBCD\bin>bootgrabber /list

BootGrabber utility.
Copyright NeoSmart Technologies 2009 <http://neosmart.net/>

Failed to get MBR of disk 1. Last error: 6Failed to get MBR of disk 2. Last erro
r: 6D,0,3340660
P,1,,39,12939423744,882663424,Yes
P,2,C:\,7,265188356096,161827909632,Yes
P,3,,130,1997678592,0,Yes
P,4,,131,19995655680,0,Yes

This doesn't make much sense to me :smile:

Back