HELP NEOGRUB Big Mistake

aruba92

I did the install like the instructions say, but removed the optional section at the bottom, which I guess gives you the option to unhide the Vista drive. I have the "hd" entry wrong for XP and Vista is my boot drive.
So all in all I can't boot to anything now. Vista gives me some error message, which I can't remember because I have had no sleep for so long. I even tried re-installing Vista and this program relabels your drive. Once it's hidden, if you screw up, I guess can't get you it back.
I am going to try taking the drive out and installing it in my sons PC. Hope I don't crash that one to. Otherewise I am looking at a crashed drive I suppose. If you don't get this right the first time it's a real big headache. If someone can give me some help I would really appreciate it.

OK, so I found the Super Grub Bootloader CD Dowload and now I have Vista back. This is what I have Vista is the boot drive and is on a seperate drive (0,0). XP is on drive seperate hd (1,1) and yes that should be right right because if I set it to (1,0) it can't find the ntldr. So now I need to know about this hide unhide thing. It seems that when I tried to originally boot to XP with the curent config it hid the Vista drive, but was unable to boot to XP. What enables you to unhide Vista. It seems once you choose to boot to XP your Vista drive is hidden and your lost.

XP Deleting the System Restore Points in Vista issue

If anyone is using NeoGrub to solve the XP deleting the System Restore Points in Vista issue. DON'T. This was a night mare for me to get Vista to boot again. Just use the Vista Bootloader. You can use Easy BCD to fix your dual boot issues, but again for the Vista restore points being deleted fix, see the following link. The fix really works. Have a nice day. :joy:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185

You can't be doing it right aruba.
I successfully used Neogrub/EasyBCD to do this last year and it's still working fine.
See http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1186 and follow the links

As to your MS link . Along with everything else suggested in MS's forums/kb IT DOESN'T WORK.
It's too hedged around with ifs and buts. If it worked for you - you're very lucky. It had absolutely no effect on my set-up - the restore points still got b*gg*r*d.

I came here BECAUSE MS don't have a solution that works for everyone.
Neosmart's solution does work - just try reading the Wiki a bit more thoroughly or searching for entries like mine that will show you how we've all fixed this problem long ago.

There is a way to do it with NeoGRUB. I dont know how to accomplish this. Mahmoud does. He will give you the steps to accomplish this when he can. He has been busy working on a few thigns lately. :wink:

See my reply to your other post ------------------

"You can't be doing it right aruba.
I successfully used Neogrub/EasyBCD to do this last year and it's still working fine.
See http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1186 and follow the links

As to your MS link . Along with everything else suggested in MS's forums/kb IT DOESN'T WORK.
It's too hedged around with ifs and buts. If it worked for you - you're very lucky. It had absolutely no effect on my set-up - the restore points still got b*gg*r*d.

I came here BECAUSE MS don't have a solution that works for everyone.
Neosmart's solution does work - just try reading the Wiki a bit more thoroughly or searching for entries like mine that will show you how we've all fixed this problem long ago. "----------------------

and look at the highlighted link - It looks like you have the same problem as I did - and you're making the same mistake - You didn't search the forum carefully enough to find your problem - just like me.

Follow the links that Guru gave me - to the pre-existing description of the problem I was having, and its solution.

progress.gif

As i stated in your thread. Mahmoud will be around and he will guide you on how to accomplish this task. It does work. Terry is just one of many people who have gotten it to work. Sorry that you have not successfully gotten it to work yet. but when CG the creator of the app comes around he will help you to get it working.

Addendum:

Threads Merged.

Last edited:
Have you fixed your problem with the MS KB article, or do you still need help getting NeoGrub to work?

I am not using NEOGRUB. It just boogered up my Vista install and had to re-install. I also found something else besides the MS link to fix the restore issues. If you boot to XP and right click on My Computer, Properties and the click the Restore Tab (Ibelieve that is what it is called) there are options for which drives/partitions you want XP's System Restore to monitor. If you uncheck or deselect the Vista drive/partiton. The Vista Restore points are no longer deleted. And to those who think otherwise, this also does work...

I tried this, and every other option of turning off just about every service on XP, but even when XP is told not to monitor Vista drives and not to enable the system restore service at all. It still resets Vista's restore points.
I tried every suggested "fix" listed anywhere on the MS site before Google eventually brought me here to salvation.
Aruba - you're a very lucky person if your system responds to any of these suggestions.
Look at the MS forums and you'll see the world is full of desperate people like me for whom no MS zap worked.
I spent the best part of a month from assembling my new system, through Installing Vista, trying to fix Vista's lack of hardware drivers, having to dual boot XP to be able to use my hardware, finding the restore point problem and then trying eveything to fix it.
To suggest that the Nosmart solution doesn't work and that MS's does is just perverse.
I'm here as living proof that the solution here works if you do it right.
It's hard to squeeze money out of me (that's why I've an OEM Home premium and not the full ultimate - I hate making BG any richer !) but I had no hesitation in "chipping in" for this project because Guru finally got my system working properly where MS could not.

Back