Help, please !! Repair BCD

pazzazz

I have just installed EasyBCD with the aim of simply repairing my Boot loading components. I am not particularly techie-minded which is why I hope EasyBCD is a pretty automated process.. I hope I haven't acted too fast but when I opened EasyBCD I pressed the option Repair/recreate boot files

Keeping in mind that I want to repair my BCD etc, was the option to go to BCD backup/repair and then run Recreate/repair boot files" correct to do or should I have chosen the option "reset BCD configuration" ?? I don't know if resetting it would just take things back to how they were before I pressed the "Re-create" button. Obviously my original starting point was a corrupted BCD so I don't want to reset things to that.

Hope someone can advise me

Thank you for replying but I have already seen the link you have posted. My problem is that I simply do not understand it - It's all jargon !
I would appreciate it if someone could just give me a simple answer to the specific question I asked in my original post. That would be more helpful.

I'm sorry to be unhelpful, but that is really the most comprehensive explanation of how to use EasyBCD's various functions.
As I'm sure it mentions in there, the "advanced" menu pages are for power users, i.e. those who understand the workings of the BCD and exactly what they are trying to achieve. In this case EasyBCD can be as lethal to your OS as regedit. Do something fatal and it won't stop you (though unlike regedit it does at least warn you IN BIG SCARY LETTERS that you have made your PC unbootable and on no account to reboot it, till you've taken further action to make it bootable again)
I simply do not understand it - It's all jargon !
implies that you are not a BCD power user, and that you really are at risk of doing something you'll regret.
If your boot files are damaged and you don't understand what to do to fix them, you'd probably be better off letting the Windows Installation Media do it for you automatically
If you don't have Installation media, you can make a repair disc with that function
Control Panel > Backup & Restore > Create repair disc
As a last resort, if you've already done irreparable damage and have no MS repair disk, Neosmart do offer EasyRE (mentioned in the previous link as option 4) but it's not a free product.

Last edited:
Back