Help PLS

buppertb

I had a power failure, replaced the power supply and when I booted I got an "MBR Error 1" boot from floppy message. I rebooted with the BCD CD boot disk and was able to boot, ran repair, removed disk, rebooted and the error returned. Rebooted with disk, re-ran repair and was able to boot into Vista as long as I leave the disk in the CD/DVD drive (not clicked to boot from CD when rebooting), however if the CD is removed the error recurrs and will not boot. Any idea what may be going on? TKS for the help,

BB3

Do you have 2 HDDs ?
You can get this symptom if you've rebuilt the boot, and the rebuild has put it on a different HDD from the one that comes first in the BIOS.
Any chance you plugged the HDDs back into different channels on the MOBO, when you took the PC apart to replace the power supply ?

Possibly, I will check it out an re-post, TKS,

BB3

Addendum:

Problem resoved, TKS to Terry! Changed disk priority and voila! What I still do not understand is that when changing the power supply, I did not disconnect the SATA connections, only the power connectors and why that would change boot piority is beyond me? Maybe if you put a drive on a different power connector it changes the priority? In any event TKS again to Terry!

BB3

Last edited:
Glad it's OK now.
The power connections , as you suspect, won't have had anything to do with it. It could be that Vista rebuilt the boot on the other disk on a whim of its own ! (It certainly gets its disk numbers confused vis-�*-vis the BIOS when there's a SATA/IDE mix)

(note to Guru - what's up with the parser ? My a with an accent, keeps getting replaced as above - it also causes the need to click edit twice to get back into the text.)

Last edited:
Testing... á

Addendum:

well, that worked.

The forums are configured to use UTF-8 for all characters, which is the Unicode standard that should support the biggest range of letters and characters.... UTF-8 support depends on the browser though, however most browsers have implemented Unicode support since 2000..

Last edited:
Cheers ! I expect I'll have occasion to use an à again sometime in the next year or two.

Back