Help :( Removed Xp from Vista Dualboot

glennterry

Hi Neosmart forum people

Im really really really lost, ive read like 1000 pages of forum and have not found a fix. I have a HP DV9000 with two hdds. It originally came with XP Media Centre 2005 installed on disk 0, and then i upgraded to vista home premium which installed on disk 1.

After being really really happy with vista i recently decided that i want to get rid of Xp. I mistakenly reformated the drive(0) which i now believe had the Vista bootloader on it. I succesfully formated the partion and then shut down my computer.

I came back the next day and vista would not boot giving an error of "Operating System not found". I then proceded to swap the hdd's over and recieved the same error still. Here i then downloaded the Neosmart recovery disk. I boot to the disk, but it cannot find my operating system. Now i got worried lol tears streaming down my face.

I then selected the option to Startup Repair. This says it worked and i restart still getting the message No OS found. Now i read more and more and attempt to fix it manually using Command prompt. bootrec worked fine, however bootsect.exe cannot be found anywhere. My probllem is very much like Vista_Recovery_disk.iso - The NeoSmart Forums
however i cannot reinstall vista as i dont have the disks anymore, and i really cannot spare my programs and data. Im really really worried and dont know what to do.

Anyhelp that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Glenn

UPDATE***

I fixed the problem after 6 hours of work OMFG
lol i used Gparted to set the disk as bootable, then used Startup recovery twice to fix it.

So so so happy. Now time to start hackintosh lol

Last edited:
Well Glenn glad you got it sorted out. Sorry i wasnt here to give some advice but none the less nice to see you got it working.

Back