Help Requested: Vista Recovery Disk - Autorecover to blank screen

RobOK

Hello,

I have a Vista computer with a bad disk. I downloaded your Recovery disk and have tried Automatic Recovery. It gives a waiting icon for maybe 8-10 minutes then goes to a blank screen. I haven't actually been watching when it went blank, so I don't know if it said anything. Is it likely to be still working at this point? This has happened twice.

Other points:
Earlier I looked at the Partition tool and my Main disk (boot) is returning NFTS errors (pre_read failed, MFT errors).

I have a Vista Recovery disk that I am 95% sure came with this computer, it goes through Windows Loading progress bar and then goes to a totally blank screen.

The original problem is Vista booting goes to a blue screen for half a second (too fast to read). That happens in Safe or Regular boot ups.

At this point I want to get a couple of key files of the disk, i set up my back up wrong so files that I thought were backed up were not!! Ouch.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks
Rob.

Use the "browse/backup" option on the disc to find and copy your user files, then use the "launch command line" and do a chkdsk /r on your OS partition.
When that completes, you can give the automatic recovery another try
Microsoft Corporation

Thanks for the reply...

* My main disk does not Mount, so I cannot use the file manager, it eventually gives me errors relating to NTFS and MRT not being read
* the only command line i can get to is the Recovery Disk from NeoSmart, the Windows Vista one never gets to a Recovery Console, it gets a blank screen. Can I do a chkdsk or equivalent from the NeoSmart command prompt ?

Thanks,
Rob

I will look for it. Another challenge is my USB mouse is not recognized. It looks like there is a Home button called Applications in the GUI, is there any way of reaching that menu with just a keyboard ?

I'm pretty sure it's included amongst the NST disc toolkit.
Another option is to get a free bootable Partition Manager and use its file check/repair option (chkdsk)

OK, I am much closer. I got the MiniTools Partition Manager, great suggestion. I can see my files and I noted that the Partition is 100% full. Not sure if this is part of the problem. But, the menu choice for checking file system is greyed out. Why would it be greyed out?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks,
Rob.

Not all options are "live" till you've selected something.
Did you click on the partition ?

Yes, I know what you mean -- all the other Partition commands are active...

Addendum

The option to assign a drive letter is also greyed out. I did part of a Surface test and the first two blocks returned errors. I can Explore the data and see my files are there (I hope!).

Drive letters are an internal construct of Windows. There is no letter if Windows isn't running. That option will only be live if you are running the partition manager from inside Windows, not if you boot the program from its own disc.

Thanks Terry -- got it about the Drive letters, that makes sense.

Do you think "Check File System" is only available under windows (i.e. not on the Bootable CD)? I can't figure out why "Check File System" is greyed out.

Thanks!

No, that should become live as soon as you click on the partition you're interested in.

If anyone has any other options, please let me know. I think the very first sector is bad and so it is not allowing disk access. Can boot with the recovery environment from NeoSmart but Automatic Repair does not work. Boot from Mini Tools but cannot run the disk check. Vista Recovery disk hangs before getting fully booted, again I think it is trying to access the boot disk. I need a tool that can run check disk without having to mount the disk? Maybe?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Okay, a new data point. I let the Automated Repair run overnight and it eventually found the two drives. I selected my boot drive to have it do Automated Repair (I have never been this far before).

It gives an error, "The selected partition and could not be accessed or repaired. Please select a different drive to continue."

I think that the disk is throwing some bad read errors, but eventually the automated repair made it this far, but it doesn't seem like it can continue.

At this point i just want a subset of data off, so any ideas on which way to go next?

Thanks,
Rob.

Ok, I have TestDisk from Knoppix boot disk. I can navigate the files and I THINK i am copying files to the other drive inside this pc (i.e. media/sdb1 ). It even takes some time to copy big files. But when i go there, they are not copied. I am not a Linux person, so I am likely doing something very basic wrong. Can anyone guide me to copying files with TestDisk?

Thanks!!

Terry:Having problems with Vista boot. Used the Easy BCD and repairs are said to be successful but I get an endless loop of boot hru bios, see the Windows bar, a click and back to the bios boot. Have run hard drive diagnostics and get a pass. Tried command line for chkdsk /r but fet command no found and the screen shows sh-4.2#. use cd\ and get > but still will not run. Any suggestions? Thank STX94

Use F8 as you bring up the PC to get into the extended boot menu.
In there, select "no automatic restart".
That will prevent the endless reboot loop, and the PC should halt at the BSOD and enable you to read the stop code.
Bing the code to determine what the nature of your problem is.

Back