Help restoring XP boot

So I've been using the APC guide on dualbooting Vista and XP with Vista installed first. I had a lot of problems with installing XP, where I ended up having to use Knoppix but nevermind that. I'm now up to the point where the XP installed correctly and I was able to boot into it. I went to repair the Vista boot, that went fine. I'm now in Vista and using EasyBCD to restore the XP option. Here: How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots

A bit down the page it says to change the version to NT/XP..etc. I did that, then it says to change the drive to whatever drive it's on. But the drive option is greyed out. I tried changing the drive option under Longhorn then changing the Version but the boot up didn't work afterwards. Also, is there anyway to change the boot entry path in EasyBCD? Or anywhere in Vista for that matter?

Sorry if this is in the EasyBCD help document or something, I went there and managed to become more confused.

Addendum:

Also here's some screenshots of EasyBCD. The left one is the original, the right one is when I try to change the drive first, then the version. Something tells me the NTLDR path on the XP one isn't right, but I don't know how to change that anyways.
easybcdyl9.jpg

Addendum:

On third thought, I see a NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM file on my C: drive. Let me try using the C: drive for the XP entry.

Addendum:

That's a no go. All the boot files are on my C: drive I'm pretty sure. The boot error is something about not finding the files in /NTLDR or something :frowning:

Let me try copying the files again.

Addendum:

Scratch that too, I don't see any NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files on my D: (XP) drive.

Addendum:

Installing XP After Vista - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Looking at this, I see that it automatically searches for the NTLDR file.

So my problem seems to be that my NTLDR file is corrupt? Maybe?

Can anyone help? I'm talking to myself here.

Thanks in advance guys.

Addendum:

Or nevermind. I missed the NTLDR error help in the wiki, sorry. After reading a few other posts I also realized you can change the drive manually in the settings section. I changed it to the C: drive and it booted fine. Why does it search automatically now anyways? That messed me all up :frowning:

Last edited:
Hi Cheat, welcome to NST.
Everything OK now ?
The later versions of Easy "grey" the XP drive entry, because so many users incorrectly pointed the BCD at the XP system and not at the XP boot files. As you've discovered they have to be in the same root as the Vista bootmgr and they point to the XP system, not the BCD.
EasyBCD automatically detects the "system" "active" partition (which is the one where all the boot files must reside), sets it and "greys" it.
If you're new to dual booting, and from your addenda, obviously capable of reading and understanding the data to sort your own problems, you might like to read this illustrated guide which helps make things a lot clearer.

Hi Cheat, welcome to NST.
Everything OK now ?
The later versions of Easy "grey" the XP drive entry, because so many users incorrectly pointed the BCD at the XP system and not at the XP boot files. As you've discovered they have to be in the same root as the Vista bootmgr and they point to the XP system, not the BCD.
EasyBCD automatically detects the "system" "active" partition (which is the one where all the boot files must reside), sets it and "greys" it.
If you're new to dual booting, and from your addenda, obviously capable of reading and understanding the data to sort your own problems, you might like to read this illustrated guide which helps make things a lot clearer.

Yeah, everything's fine now. I can see why it greys out but it automatically detected the wrong drive for me. I had to go into the settings section and do it manually (which I had no idea you could do).

Back