Help... triple boot XP, Seven and Ubuntu.

Ph03Nix

Sorry if this post is in the wrong section...

I read some tutorials on the net and no one works for me to make a one single boot screen with XP, Seven and Ubuntu. The last attempt was that....
I format the drive, and create 3 different partitions. First i installed XP (in ntfs format). Then i installed Seven (in a second partition - ntfs too), and finally Ubuntu (in a third partition - ext3). In this topic http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3923&highlight=triple+boot+ubuntu and this too http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu when we get the "advanced options" (step 7 of 7), they tell to install the grub on the Ubuntu partition... I choose (hd0,3) because in my case Ubuntu will be installed on the #3 partition... but i receive this error: "Unable to install GRUB in (hd0,3)" - Executing 'grub-install (hd0-3)' failed. - This is a fatal error."

I'm doing something wrong? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hi Pho3nix, welcome to NST.
Did you type in the grub location, or select it from the list ?
The latter should ensure you're not mistyping or getting the wrong partitition number.
Assuming you've made no mistake, I had a few problems getting Ubuntu(8.10) to install.
I knew there was no problem with the CD because I'd previously installed it from the same source. The only difference on the reinstall was that I was trying to force Ubuntu into a primary partition with a primary swap, the previous install having defaulted to creating them both as logical against my intention and expectation.
I had several unsuccessful tries, eventually succeeding only when I abandoned the swap partition completely and installed Ubuntu into a single primary partition.

Hi Pho3nix, welcome to NST.
Did you type in the grub location, or select it from the list ?
The latter should ensure you're not mistyping or getting the wrong partitition number.
Assuming you've made no mistake, I had a few problems getting Ubuntu(8.10) to install.
I knew there was no problem with the CD because I'd previously installed it from the same source. The only difference on the reinstall was that I was trying to force Ubuntu into a primary partition with a primary swap, the previous install having defaulted to creating them both as logical against my intention and expectation.
I had several unsuccessful tries, eventually succeeding only when I abandoned the swap partition completely and installed Ubuntu into a single primary partition.

I type the partition (hd0,3). I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 and i'm trying to install in a primary partition, no swap. The CD is ok because i already install this CD in other computers... I'll keep on trying...

Thanks.

I have those 3 working on my laptop.
1. Install XP
2. Install Ubuntu 9.04
3. Install Win 7
4. Run EasyBCD Beta2 built 64
5. Add/Remove Entries option:
Add Linux, type: GRUB, Set name, Don't set device, Set "GRUB isn't installed to MBR/bootsector

Partition order:
1. XP
2. Win 7
3. Partition wor documents and software
4. Ubuntu
5. It looks Ubuntu set small swap partition (3GB)

And that's it! Hope this will help.

Last edited:
Back