Help Uninstall Ubuntu

HJAY007

I installed Ubuntu 9.04 to dual boot with Windows 7 RC. Sorry I did that. All I want to do now is put Windows 7 back like it was. No grub, no dual boot. Just plain Windows 7. Can EasyBCD help me with this? If so, how?
Thanks

Hello HJ, welcome to NST.
Use EasyBCD>Manage Bootloader>Reinstall the Vista bootloader>Write MBR, and that should boot Win 7 back in charge of the boot. Then just go ahead, and use a partition manager to delete the Ubuntu root partition (and swap, if you have one). Then resize the Win 7 partition to fill up the free space left after deletion of the Linux partitions, and you will have a system that has solely Win 7...oh well. :wink: Sorry you decided to single boot, even after experiencing the joys of dual-booting.

Thank you very much. All is back to normal. You and EasyBCD are great! I was just suffering thinking about all the command line stuff. Took me several hours searching through endless possibilities. Took only a few seconds and a re-boot to do it your way.
Thanks again. HJay

If you want Ubuntu to install without taking over the boot from Windows, make sure you click the "advanced" button during the boot manager stage. This brings up another menu which gives you the option to install grub to the Linux partition, not the MBR.
Then in W7 use easyBCD 2.0 to add a linux entry to the W7 BCD. Your W7 will continue to boot as default, with an option to use Linux if you need it.
"Why would I need it " ? I hear you ask
Jake will tell you it's better than Windows, but as a long-term Windows-app user, with most of my daily routines running on Windows dependent software, I know that it's not a simple task to rewrite your Lotus 123 stuff in Open-Office when it's a gigantic complex app.
My reason for having it available is simple. If you've ever tried manipulating anything in WIndows manually, you'll have fallen foul of Windows UAC, permissions, controls, ownerships etc, which prevent you from doing the simplest of 1-byte edits without jumping through so many hoops, and doing so much research about how to alter permissions, take ownership etc. etc. that you'll probably give up in frustration before you succeed.
Even if you're trying to alter something in a dormant XP or W7 from Vista, you'll still hit the same problems.
However, boot up Linux and you can merrily scythe your way through the Windows files because it simply doesn't care what restrictions MS has handcuffed you with.

Jake will tell you it's better than Windows, but as a long-term Windows-app user, with most of my daily routines running on Windows dependent software, I know that it's not a simple task to rewrite your Lotus 123 stuff in Open-Office when it's a gigantic complex app.
Also keep in mind that Open Office isn't the only word application available for Linux. :wink: You also have applications like Kword, Star Office, AbiWord...just to name a few. You have many free choices in Linux for almost any type of software. And of course there's the added advantage of not having problems such as virus, spyware, adware, and other cr*p which would (and do, all the time) desperately screw up a Windows OS, in Linux because it is far more secure...

Back