Help using NeoGrub (menu.lst settings?!!!)

i am not sure how to use the numbers to set the correct drives so that the vista drive will be hidden from xp... i currently have vista on my C drive and my xp is on a drive that is labeled G... i have an hp m8020n... to my understanding... original factory settings partitioned my 640 gb hard drive to two 320 gb hard drives... one drive (C) includes Vista and the other drive was empty... i partitioned the second drive, shrinking it by 100 gb to create a new drive which is G. i installed xp on that drive... again i am unsure how to use the neogrub configuration to hide vista from xp... can someone please show me how to configure the drive letters in notepad so that i can hide vista... right now when i try to boot in xp all i get is a black screen that says grub...

yeah i have read that post...

yeah i have that post... thanks for the reply... i am unsure how to use neogrubs notepad configuration... it says to copy and paste the whole thing, but i assume if you want to just hide the vista partition you need only have of the text...this is what i have...

# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub menu.lst file, and should be located at C:\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries
# http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD
default 0
timeout 0
title Boot XP - Hide Vista
hide (hd0,1) # SET THIS TO THE VISTA DRIVE
# Optionally repeat the above entry for all the Vista drives
chainloader (hd1,0)/ntldr # SET THIS TO THE BOOT PARTITION
boot

however when i have the setup like this and try to boot xp... all i receive is a black screen which says GRUB and a blinking underscore...

I need to know what to exactly paste into notepad
my vista partition is one disk 0, but i am unsure what to number the exact vista partition since disk 1 also contains my recovery partition.
my xp partition is located on disk 1 and i believe is the "second" partition on disk 1...note: disk 1 also contains free space which i believe is the "first partition".

Hi billabong,

This is probably because you are using EasyBCD 1.6- and not 1.61 BETA wherein we've completey rewritten NeoGrub from scratch.

also note that the "optional" section for unhiding the Vista partition IS NOT OPTIONAL

In order to boot into Vista (at the moment) you will have to run the unhide entry first. I'm working on a solution.

ok i have installed 1.61... i completely copy and pasted the whole thing... however when i try to boot into xp i still get an error message... im past the grub screen and do get an option whether i want to hide vista or unhide vista but when i choose to hide vista i get another error message... it tells me to hit any button to continue... and when i do it takes me back to the menu where i choose to hide or unhide vista... its a complete circle... the error message tells me it cannot find the partition to hide... i may have got the numbers wrong... i recently notice when im in vista and in my computer... i do not see my recovery drive... it must have been hidden by my neogrub configurations... here is what i have...

Code:
# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub menu.lst file, and should be located at C:\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries
# [URL]http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD[/URL]
default 0
timeout 0
title Boot XP - Hide Vista
hide (hd0,1) # SET THIS TO THE VISTA DRIVE
chainloader (hd1,1)/ntldr # SET THIS TO THE BOOT PARTITION
boot
# Optional section
# If you include this section, you will see a second bootloader menu!
title Boot XP - Unhide Vista
unhide (hd0,1) # SET THIS TO THE VISTA DRIVE
chainloader (hd1,1)/ntldr # SET THIS TO THE BOOT PARTITION
boot

thanks again for all the help

Last edited by a moderator:
Please use code blocks for configuration files - makes them easier to read.

To find out the right numbers, go to Add/Remove | Linux/BSD and use the numbers that list of drives there.

Identify the Vista partition, use that number.
Identify the boot drive, use that number.

what are code blocks...
anyways here is the error message

Warning: unrecognized partition table for drivev 81. Please rebuild it using a Microsoft-compatible FDISK tool (err=23). Current C/H/S = 16383/240/63

Error 19: Cannot mount selected partition

Probably means you used the wrong numbers..

this is a code block:
[c o d e] [/ c o d e]

(no spaces though)

You misunderstand - I just mean when you are pasting your configuration files here in a post, stick it a code block like this:

Code:
this is my configuration file

that thing is a code block :smile:

Anyway, just replace the numbers you are currently using in NeoGrub's menu.lst with those shown in the Drive List in the Linux/BSD section of the Add/Remove Entries screen.

i see the drive list now under the linux/bsd... however there are question marks where my recovery partition should be...how can i unhide this?

i use the numbers located in linux/bsd... but it didnt work i still get the error message and its a complete circle again

umm i have a problem cuz vista wont load

Please EDIT your posts instead of replying half a dozen times!

to unhide the recovery partition, create a new NeoGrub entry:
Code:
title Unhide recovery
unhide(x,y)
boot

Just run it once and the problem will go away. Please provide more DETAIL to your "vista wont load" bug. This is probably because you have successfully hidden the Vista partition - now you need to unhide to boot into Vista.

sorry about that...new to this forum...yes i have successfully hid the vista partition but i still was unable to boot in xp... anyways... if i am ever able to successfully boot in xp while vista... will i always need to unhide vista if i want to boot it?

Back