HELP!!! Vista on a sata and XP on IDE HELP!!!

darkviews

Okay I have been at this for about 5 hours... What i have so far is...

1. I coped the winload from my vista to my XP drive.
2. repaired both boot.ini with the repair startup useing the vista disk.
3. added the XP boot to the EasyBCD.
(Entry #2

Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {6522b5ee-7c54-11dc-b30f-b5574093d04d}
Drive: F:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR)

at this point I am able to restart the computer and am able to choose which to load...
I am able to load up Vista okay, but once I try to load XP it says that the NTLDR is missing or corrupt.

I have tried to use the repair option on my XP disk, and rebuild the bootcfg, but i don't think that did anything.

What I need is somebody to tell me how can I control where the bootmanager looks for my XP boot.

Note: Willing to reinstall XP but cannot do it on the same drive, and can't reinstall Vista.

Last edited:
Hello Darkviews Welcome to NeoSmart.

I am guessing that your XP is installed on Drive F: as it is noticed in the Vista install correct? Have you tried to do a fix boot and fixmbr with the XP disc. Then gone back to the Vista disc and put the BCD back up? I know this is the long way around and Computer Guru will come along and give you the best way to do this. But this is the best way i can think of. Since you said you copied the Vista stuff to the XP drive which really shouldnt be done.

XP and Vista use different bootloaders. XP uses the boot.ini and Vista uses the BCD. So by copying over the Vista info you overwrote the XP boot config and that needs to be re-written. At least so i think. CG will confirm any of this.

Hi Darkviews - Mak is right. Winload.exe is a Vista-specific bootloader file and has nothing to do with Windows XP. The only good news is that copying winload.exe to the XP drive doesn't break anything either.

What you need to do is follow up on your original error: no NTLDR. Grab yourself a copy of NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki and copy them to the root of all drives, then try out your XP entry in EasyBCD again.

Good luck.

Back