[Help] Windows 7 and Fedora 14 Dual booting

Hey guys, im new to linux and wanted to try fedora 14 so yeh i just did a clean windows 7 install and then i installed fedora 14 using this guide How to dual-boot Fedora 14 and Windows 7. I followed it step by step.

I used easyBCD (as shown in page 4) to do that dual boot thing. I can boot to windows 7 just fine but whenever i boot to fedora my computer restarts straight away. Im not quite sure what im supposed to do. so I played around with easyBCD by ticking the "GRUB isnt installed to MBR/bootsector" and i got into grub command line but it says Error 5: File not found (saying that /grub/grub.conf cannot be found or something) . Help me!

Heres what my partition looks like: ImageShack - Online Photo and Video Hosting.

Thanks.

Come on man... 2 days and no reply at all?? come on...At least post something like "Sorry, we cant help you" or "need more info on this or that"... I registered on the forum hoping to get some help from you guys ... but ... damn.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
It doesn't sound like GRUB was installed, as there is no menu that is detected by EasyBCD.

Addendum:

Come on man... 2 days and no reply at all?? come on...At least post something like "Sorry, we cant help you" or "need more info on this or that"... I registered on the forum hoping to get some help from you guys ... but ... damn.
You know what's hilarious? I posted my above reply before you made your post, and only hit the submit button a minute ago, not having seen your "complaint."

Patience is a virtue. And we all lead busy lives and volunteer on these forums when we can.

Last edited:
yea i know patience is virtue, but after i saw other threads posted after my thread getting replies before me in the duration of the 2 days it started to worry me.

Grub should be installed to sda5 in /boot thing with 500mb. i did a little research in the 2 days of waiting. does this /boot partition has to be in the first 3 primary partition ? cos my fourth one appears as extended and thats where my /boot is...

my partition goes like :
sda1 - 100mb ntfs (windows boot stuff)
sda2 - 250gb ntfs (local disk C: windows 7 os)
sda3 - 1.2TB ntfs (data/files Local disk D:smile:
sda4 - (it shows as extended) Extended
---sda5 - 500 /boot ext4
---sda6 - 250gb LVM

then the LVM groups
-vg_bla
---lv_root
---lv_home
---lv_swap

i did the instruction on that tutorial page (if you read it)
installed the grub bootloader on sda5 and i set up the EasyBCD 2.1 (latest i believe) to that partition... but it never works (comp always restart once i pick fedora 14) so i check the "GRUB NOT installed in MBR" check box thing... and it loads up to GRUB COMMAND LINE saying File not found /grub/grub.conf "press b to boot" , "c to command line" etc

i dont get it ... i installed fedora like 5 times. . grub should be installed .. it seems that its not detecting it ... what should i do ? whats the problem ?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
You need to find out whether or not that file actually exists on /boot/