help with manual recovery

Oh, I had just edited my post. Will wait until it's done, then I'll repost an update in a couple days.
Meanwhile, I'll finish my Tiramisu cake...

...thanks again :smile:

** monica

Okay, this is what is happenning so far:

I booted using Ubuntu (amazing)
Although I don't have 2 HDD, it shows t2 190GB: Presario and Filesystem
I cannot navigate Filesystem, I get this message:
Error mounting, exit code 13
ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed
Ntfs is either inconsistent or there is a hardware fault or it's a softRAID/FakeRAID hardware. Run chkdsk /f on windows then reboot windows twice.

So I can't back up my stuff... BUT...

Going into Presario I can see a folder called HP, in it a folder called Recovery, in it a file called restorewiz.exe.
I also see a folder called Preload, in it a folder called Factory Update and amny base.wim files, inside Factory Update a bunch of files...

What do you make of that?

I can navigat

Last edited:
Okay, this is what is happenning so far:

I booted using Ubuntu (amazing)
Although I don't have 2 HDD, it shows t2 190GB: Presario and Filesystem
I cannot navigate Filesystem, I get this message:
Error mounting, exit code 13
ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed
Ntfs is either inconsistent or there is a hardware fault or it's a softRAID/FakeRAID hardware. Run chkdsk /f on windows then reboot windows twice.

So I can't back up my stuff... BUT...

Going into Presario I can see a folder called HP, in it a folder called Recovery, in it a file called restorewiz.exe.
I also see a folder called Preload, in it a folder called Factory Update and amny base.wim files, inside Factory Update a bunch of files...

What do you make of that?

I can navigat
Ok, I was expecting something like that...
The diskpart output you posted earlier shows this:
Volume 0 Ltr E Label Repair disc Fs UDF Type DVD-ROM Size 143MB Status Healthy Info (empty)
Volume 1 Ltr D (no label) Fs RAW Type partition 147 GB Healthy
Vol 2 C Presario_RP NTFS partition 9 GB healthy
Vol 3 F removable 0 B no media
No doubt the partition you can't mount is the one that shows in diskpart as RAW. Ok, I would guess the reason you can't access the partition is the bootsector must be corrupted. You should try chkdsk /r C: on that partition, and also use

bootsect /nt60 C:

which should fix the bootsector. Oh, and you'll also need to set the "active" flag back to volume 1 according to diskpart.

double checking before I exit the command prompt:

1. I see x:\windows\system32>
2. i type chkdsk /r C:
3. Then bootsect /nt60 C:
4. Type diskpart
select disk 1

Oh, sorry...you're right. My bad.
I forgot. Yeah, go ahead and set that partition to active with diskpart.

But the correct commands are:

diskpart
select disk 0
select volume 1
active

Last edited:
Did all that, tried again with Ubuntu but still can't mount on that part of the HD.
The Recovery Partition is all I can access, but I don't know how to proceed from there.
Any ideas?

Your only other option (that I can see) at this point is to install Ubuntu to your hard drive, on a separate partition than Windows (you can use Gparted from the Ubuntu disk to resize that trouble partition), then use Applications->Accessories->Terminal from inside Ubuntu, and run:
sudo apt-get install testdisk
Then once its installed, run it by typing "testdisk". You can then follow the terminal instructions to use the program to rebuild the bootsector. At the very least, this should allow you to access your files on the trouble partition from inside Ubuntu. Once doing this, you can try setting the trouble partition to active again using Gparted, then boot from the recovery disk, and run startup repair 2 times. This may get the boot working, but it'll replace Grub in the MBR with the windows MBR again (meaning you wont be able to boot ubuntu again until you add a Linux entry in easybcd, assuming you can get into windows; if that works, you'll have a dual-boot).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advise. I gave up. :frowning:
I ordered the recovery disks from HP and I'm going to just re-install windows.
I really appreciate all the help.
** monica

Back