Help with recovering boot HDD

I recently built a new pc. I got a BSOD while changing some settings in ventrilo. I thought it was no big deal and rebooted. It came up with the reboot and select boot device error over and over again. I know earlier that i briefly got a MBR error 2 but vista would boot fine.

I tried downloading the vista recovery disc x64 to match my vista version to try and fix the MBR but every time it starts loading up the windows installation files, I get an error message: 0xc00000e9 unexpected I/O error has occurred. I hit enter and get the options of memory tester and Windows Setup [EMS Enabled]. I select windows setup but immediately get the same error after going through the vista installation files loading screen again.

I tried disconnecting all other drives attached excluding the CD drive and the boot drive. I even tried having the boot drive disconnected so that only the CD drive was connected. I also tried moving the cd drive to another SATA port on the motherboard. Every single time I get the same error.

I tried to use the OEM vista installation disc I bought to install vista but it just hangs after loading the windows installation, going through the vista boot screen, and then seeing a mouse cursor on a turquoise background.

Anyone have any idea what I can do?

Hello edgeicator, welcome to NST

You well need to revert any changes you've made in the BIOS. If you are unsure as to what you set incorrectly, find the option in the BIOS that'll allow you to reset to default cmos settings.

I select windows setup but immediately get the same error after going through the vista installation files loading screen again.

Our disc cannot be used for installation.

Now if you can get to the recovery options menu with the "repair my computer" link instead and go to command prompt, use xcopy to back up important files if you can. You'll need to clean the disk and start over after this:

diskpart
list disk
select disk x
clean
exit

Make sure you select the right hard drive for x. Make that drive first in the boot sequence before any other hard drive you have attached but with cd-rom first in the list. Now try re-installing Windows with your recovery set.

Back