Hi everyone

jrstaunt

I just registered here and am pretty new to both ubuntu and dual booting, though I did have a triple boot setup about a year ago w/ ubuntu, xp64 and xp32... but it seems like everything changes too fast for that to come in handy with my current goal!

I just got an Acer AspireOne AO751H 11.6" netbook x86 (1.33ghz Intel Atom and GA-500 video chip)

It came with Vista Home premium, but I took advantage of the student special on Windows 7 from www.win741.com and downloaded a legit version of win7 professional x86 for only 30 bucks. I burned a bootable .ISO of this and did a complete install (not an upgrade) over Vista. This went surprisingly well without any problems and not too much time.

I had problems finding a windows X client I need for work, say cygwin or xming, and also had problems installing emacs and gnuplot on win7. So I decided to try out Wubi, and installed Ubuntu 9.10 . I should mention the drive was not manually partitioned by me, so I assume it has the 10gb recovery partition, the new win7 boot area, and the main system partition only. I was also surprised that this *seemed* to work so easily. Its a very cool idea after all. But there is some problem where after it finished installing and rebooted, and I downloaded some apps through Ubuntu Application Center, and then installed all the updates through Synptic Package manager, the thing wouldn t reboot. I had an error

"ath5k phy0 : noise floor calibration timeout 2447Mhz" over and over

related to my network card and my video was messed up and, being a novice, I figured the easiest fix was simply to uninstall and reinstall using wubi, which worked *at first*. But then once I finished installing apps and updates, when I tried to reboot I got the now-famous

"2.708634 kernel panic - not syncing : VFS : unable to mount root fs on unknown block (8,2)"

error message which people on forums have seemed to deduce is being caused by the latest synaptic updates through Ubuntu. But I also seem to see only Wubi users with this error, so I don't believe anyone really knows a work around for it yet.

Anyway I am HERE because I thought I would try uninstalling Wubi, creating a partition using Windows7 diskmanagement, burning an Ubuntu Live cd and formatting new partition for ext4, and using the Easy BCD 2.0 Beta (which is Grub2 compatible I hear) to install Ubuntu 9.10 on the ext4 partition. I don't have a preference whether to use Grub2 or windows MBR, though I have a feeling using Win7 would be easier.

1) Does my plan make sense?
1.5) How do I really do all this?
2) Does anyone know whether Ubuntu 9.10 (non-Wubi) will still exhibit the kernel panic?
3) Thanks!

1 Yes, that's what we're here for :smile:
1.5 Use Windows 7 Disk management to "Shrink" your Windows partition. With the free space you should be able to create a new partition for Ubuntu. Near the end of the install choose to have Ubuntu install grub to its partition rather than to the MBR. Get the latest beta of EasyBCD and add a new linux entry for Ubuntu.
2 Maybe, depends on whether or not they're having problems. Best install things and checking them out before moving on so you can pin point if there are problems. Really I'm thinking it might be a problem with Wubi.
3 Not really a question but you're welcome :smile:

best way to format linux partitions- gparted?

I used win7 disk management to shrink basic volume and now have ~60gb unallocated space. (So far I am quite happy w/ win7 for not being stupid btw!)

Should/can I also use win7 disk management to format this unallocated space?

I want 2048MB linux SWAP
10gb ext3 linux for /root
the rest I guess I'll use for user directory.

I just dl'ed gparted live .iso, so should I just burn this, boot it, make my partitions, boot into win7 for disk check, and then boot ubuntu live dvd and install ubuntu into the partitions? Or would the ubuntu live dvd simply make the approrpiate partitions for me without need for gparted?

Also I don't know where/when in this process I am supposed to actually use EASY BCD beta 2.0!

Thx

btw I am right over here in Tempe AZ!! :booyah:

Ah, another Arizonan here, sweet :smile:

Yeah, Windows disk management can't format the unallocated space with ext3/4 linux filesystems but yes you can use it to create the partition. You'll need to actually format it during installation. You actually don't need a Swap partition but I don't suppose it could hurt. EasyBCD is strictly a Windows bootloader managment utility used in Windows. Using it you well add an entry that well allow you boot Ubuntu post-install of Ubuntu. You don't need gparted to make this all work.

I want 2048MB linux SWAP
10gb ext3 linux for /root
the rest I guess I'll use for user directory.

I just dl'ed gparted live .iso, so should I just burn this, boot it, make my partitions, boot into win7 for disk check, and then boot ubuntu live dvd and install ubuntu into the partitions? Or would the ubuntu live dvd simply make the approrpiate partitions for me without need for gparted?
Yes, you can do this. In my opinion, it is better to use a tool meant for Linux (Gparted) for Linux partitions, than a tool meant for Windows (Disk Management). :wink: However, Gparted is available on the Ubuntu LiveCD.

Last edited:
Back