hi

scrivs9

well first of all hi to all, got directed here because i searched easiest way to dual xp and win 7.
but when i try to install easy bcd onto c it says can't find the things it needs i don't even see the easy bcd screen, anyway hope to learn.

Hi scri, welcome to NST.
Which OS are you trying to install EasyBCD on? XP or W7?
EasyBCD needs .Net Framework already installed, in order to work.

hi again
i am on win xp
i have looked in add or remove programs and i have
net framework 1.1
net framework 2.0 service pack 2
net framework 3.0 service pack 2
net framework 3.5 sp1

ok managed to manually direct to the BCD file .

cheers

Addendum:

is there a step by step guide for the likes of me, I have looked at faq but it just confused me ( i know its not hard).

Last edited:
is there a step by step guide for the likes of me, I have looked at faq but it just confused me ( i know its not hard).
Here's a guide I wrote up on my own site, for multibooting with Easy:
ETS Wiki: Beginners Guide for Easy Multibooting

However, with your setup, its even easier. Get the latest beta version of EasyBCD, if you don't have that one already. Next, install, run and go to Add/Remove Entries, select ".../NT/XP" in the Type drop-down menu. Give the entry a name, and click the Add Entry button. Accept the prompt to auto-configure, and you'll have your dual-boot. :smile:

Cheers.

just knew i would get it wrong on my laptop now can't boot up pc at all now.

did as you said above then rebooted when it starts loading at the start just can't read disc so i change boot back to normal ie first boot my hard drive and i still get same message.

Sorry, my fault. I forgot you could already get in XP, just not W7.
Which OS did you install first? XP or W7?
If you installed XP last, that will mean it replaced the boot code in the boot sector that searches for BOOTMGR (the W7 boot manager), with code that looks for NTLDR (the XP bootloader file) instead. That would mean you would need to repair the W7 bootloader/MBR, either by using EasybCD's Manage Bootloader->Reinstall the Vista bootloader->Write MBR (or, since it sounds like you can't boot either one now), or booting the W7 DVD, and running Startup Repair to fix it.

Are you getting a boot menu at all?

Ok, then I've really screwed up! :smile:
You don't even have Win 7 on your system yet. No wonder EasyBCD couldn't find the BCD...

Ok, so in that case, to get your XP boot working again (not sure exactly what went wrong, but ok...), you'll need to boot your XP CD, access the Recovery Console, and run the following commands:

fixboot
fixmbr

That should fix whatever trouble you're having, assuming the boot files are ok, and in the right place.

Ok, then I've really screwed up! :smile:
You don't even have Win 7 on your system yet. No wonder EasyBCD couldn't find the BCD...

Ok, so in that case, to get your XP boot working again (not sure exactly what went wrong, but ok...), you'll need to boot your XP CD, access the Recovery Console, and run the following commands:

fixboot
fixmbr

That should fix whatever trouble you're having, assuming the boot files are ok, and in the right place.

did as you said and they were fixed but still says can't read press cltrl+alt+del to restart.

anyway will have to try tomorrow night have to go to bed now.

However said:
latest beta version[/thread] of EasyBCD, if you don't have that one already. Next, install, run and go to Add/Remove Entries, select ".../NT/XP" in the Type drop-down menu. Give the entry a name, and click the Add Entry button. Accept the prompt to auto-configure, and you'll have your dual-boot. :smile:

Cheers.

followed above then rebooted pc changing first boot to cd rom with win 7 disc in thats when i got the message can't read disc press cltrl+alt+del to restart so i changed 1st boot back to hard drive and i still get same message.
then i put in my win xp disc and repaired the fixboot and fixmbr which said they were rewritten ten rebooted but still same message.

How did you add an XP entry in EasyBCD with no BCD? :wtf:
If the disk read error occured when attempting to boot from the W7 DVD, then its likely a problem with either the DVD or your DVD drive (NOT the hard drive).
Have you tried booting without any CD in the drive?

How did you add an XP entry in EasyBCD with no BCD? :wtf:
If the disk read error occured when attempting to boot from the W7 DVD, then its likely a problem with either the DVD or your DVD drive (NOT the hard drive).
Have you tried booting without any CD in the drive?

i manually directed to the file neosmart.bcd which i found after searching for *.bcd.

yes i have tried with no cd in.

Ohh...didn't realize Guru ships a emergency BCD with it. Was it renamed to just "BCD" though, and moved to a "boot" folder in the root of your "system" partition (as seen from Disk Management). Not sure what EasyBCD does in those cases...

It might write a new MBR, in which case it would be trying to boot via a Vista bootloader with no bootmgr (though that should of course result in a bootmgr missing error, not a disk read error...).

disk read error is what it says.

well guess i start again.
I have win xp on disc
i have win 7 iso image on usb pen drive
so whats my best way forward.

Back