Hide Partitions?

jbraner

Hi,

Does EasyBCD hide partitions of the OS that's not booting?

In other words, if I have a Win 7 and a XP partition on the same disk, when I boot into Win 7 - is the XP partition completely hidden? And then when I boot into XP - the Win 7 partition hidden?

I'm currently using a different bootloader that's not Win 7 compatible and it's a little bit of a challange :wink: I'm wondering if easybcd might be a replacement - or if it's just a nice front end for the Microsoft multi boot method.

EasyBCD does not hide partitions by default, though there are ways to make it do so via some of its modules (namely, the NeoGrub module).

You sound like you know your stuff, so I'll just give you a brief overview.
You'd install EasyBCD, add a NeoGrub entry, and configure it using GRUB's syntax for hiding partitions.

It's a little complicated, but it works and is 100% Windows 7 compatible.

OK - thanks guru :wink:

I'll see if I can find any documentation on this. Life would be easier if the one I use (I don't know if you want me to name it) would support Win 7. Maybe I'll wait...

Sorry, somehow the blog has got corrupted.
The sample menu.lst is wrong
It should read

# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub menu.lst file, and should be located at x:\NST\menu.lst
# (where x = your "system" partition i.e. the one containing all of the boot files)
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries
# EasyBCD Documentation Home - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki
default 0
timeout 10
title Hide Vista - Boot XP
hide (hd0,0) # SET THIS TO THE VISTA DRIVE
# Optionally repeat the above entry for all the Vista drives
chainloader (hd0,1)/ntldr # SET THIS TO THE PARTITION MARKED system IN DISK MANAGEMENT
boot
title Unhide Vista - Then Boot it
unhide (hd0,0) # SET THIS TO THE VISTA DRIVE
# Optionally repeat the above entry for all the Vista drives
reboot

Addendum:

Oh, and neither method, HnS or Neogrub is set up to hide XP from W7/Vista. Only the other way round to overcome the restore point problem.

Last edited:
It's still messy :wink:

I don't want to have to:
- boot XP (hide W7)
- boot and unhide W7
- boot W7

I just want to be able to set up each boot option to show which partitions are visible and which are hidden. (that's what I do now)

You might be interested in a custom-edit of HnS, which you could use to do what you want, if you're happy to play with grub4dos syntax

Addendum:

That's why HnS was written, because the Neogrub route is so clumsy.

Last edited:
Back