Home Computer in 2004 [History]

Sarge

Distinguished Member
This is how scientists thought a home computer would look like in 2004. Take a look at the text under the photo :smile:

23r2176.jpghttp:

Not so far off the computer I started operating 40 years ago this month, though I no idea what the enormous steering wheel does ?!

Attachments

• 2423PH2050.jpg
    2423PH2050.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 2
Wow! :grinning:
Fortunately they were wrong, and the computer of 2004 was much more advanced than the one in the photo. :??
Like Terry, I'm wondering what that steering wheel is for.

Its for driving simulations like Need For Speed, of course! :grinning: What else could it be? A power Button? :tongueout:

Its for driving simulations like Need For Speed, of course! :grinning: What else could it be? A power Button? :tongueout:
LOL...I think it would be kind of difficult playing Need For Speed with that driving wheel. You would have to turn your head to a weird (and very uncomfortable) angle to view the monitor, and you would get a neck crank after a while of doing that...:tongueout:

True, but I'm sure it would be corrected in next version of that PC, so already in 2005 we would have the monitor right in front of us, those scientists would agree. :??

I've realized what the wheel does.
It's obviously for lowering the moderator rods into the reactor pile.
Being the new millenium, everything will be nuclear-powered. (Isaac Asimov, back in the 50's thought we'd have atomic ashtrays by now !!)
When you have a bit of intensive editing to do, you crank-up the reactor closer to criticality and get up a head of steam for the turbines.

The steering wheel was actually to open the sluice gates at the dam that was needed to provide the power necessary to run the darn thing......LOL.

(If you bought the deluxe edition it came complete with a dam, lake and powerplant).

Lol....

At the end of that text under the picture it says "...computer would be easy to use." But use for what? hmm?

Back