How Can I Check a Damaged PST File Before Repairing It?

steveenmiller07

Active Member
I am working with an older Outlook PST archive that has started giving errors when I try to access it. The file contains historical emails and attachments that I would like to preserve, but I am hesitant to immediately run repair utilities because I do not know how much of the original mailbox data is still accessible.

My first thought was to find a way to inspect the PST before attempting any recovery operation. If I can identify the folders and preview some of the messages, it would give me a better idea of the condition of the archive and what information might still be available.

I understand that PST files can store different types of Outlook information, including emails, attachments, contacts, calendars, tasks, notes, deleted items, and custom folders. In my case, the emails are the main priority, but attachments and folder structure are also important because the archive contains older business correspondence.

Would a PST file viewer be useful for checking an archive that is showing errors? I am not necessarily looking for a repair tool at this stage. I would first like to determine whether the mailbox contents can be read or previewed and whether the source file can remain unchanged during the inspection.

Another concern is the size of the archive. This particular PST is fairly large and contains several years of data. If I have to browse every folder manually, finding the important messages could take a considerable amount of time. Search and filtering options would therefore be useful.

For example, I may need to find emails from a particular sender or locate messages received during a specific period. Searching by subject or identifying messages that contain attachments would also help narrow down the relevant information.

I am also curious about how standalone PST viewers handle different types of Outlook archives. Some files may be healthy, while others could be orphaned, oversized, password-protected, or partially damaged. Does a viewer simply display the readable information, or can it identify problems within the file as well?

While looking into this issue, I came across SysInfo PST Viewer. Its product information says that it can preview PST data and supports different types of PST files, including oversized and password-protected archives. It can display emails and other mailbox items, along with attachments and detailed message information.

The preview capability seems particularly useful before starting a recovery process. If I can see the mailbox folders and verify that important messages are accessible, I can make a more informed decision about whether the file needs repair or whether the accessible data should simply be exported into another archive.
 
Back
Top