How can I migrate SharePoint libraries between tenants without losing metadata?

steveenmiller07

Active Member
We are moving several SharePoint Online sites from our existing Microsoft 365 tenant to a new tenant. The document libraries contain a large amount of business data, and I need to preserve the folder structure, custom columns, metadata, permissions, and version history.

The main difficulty is that the users and Microsoft 365 groups in the destination tenant have different identities. I am concerned that simply copying the files will cause permission inheritance problems or leave users without access to documents they could access in the source tenant.

I also need to handle libraries that are still being used during the migration. If users continue adding or modifying documents after the initial migration, I would prefer to run an incremental migration rather than copy the entire library again. Avoiding duplicate files is important because some libraries contain tens of thousands of documents.

I have looked at PowerShell and Microsoft's migration options, but I am not sure which approach is appropriate for a SharePoint Online-to-SharePoint Online cross-tenant migration. I also came across the SysInfo Microsoft 365 Tenant to Tenant Migration Tool, which supports SharePoint and OneDrive migration along with filtering and incremental migration.
 
Back
Top