How do I assign a new system BCD store?

taralex77

I'm in the process of creating a 8-operating systems multiboot drive. I nailed 7 WinXP systems, and I almost have Win7 running from the last partition, but there's a little problem.
I restored an Acronis image of Windows 7 to partition (hd0,9) of my hard drive. I'm using Grub4Dos located in (hd0,0) to boot into it, before booting I hide all other partitions and it boots fine using the BCD located at (hd0,9)\boot.
However, when I run EasyBCD it tries to open the system store and fails (looks at (hd0,0)?) asking me if I'd like to open some other store. It opens my store ok if I browse to it at C:\boot.
The same happens with bcdedit.exe, if I just run bcdedit.exe I'm getting an error that the store cannot be opened. But if I run bcdedit /store c:\boot\bcd — everything works fine.
It would all be ok, but I have some other software and it is only capable of accessing the System store. So whenever I run it — it fails.
My guess is that by default Windows expects the System store to be located at (hd0,0), and I don't have it there.
My question is: is it possible to somehow tell Windows not to look at (hd0,0), but to use c:\boot\bcd as the default system store?

No, Windows cannot search other than on the active partition (not necessarily hd(0,0)). EasyBCD has been especially coded to handle situations where it's on a different drive, which is just one of the many benefits it offers.

No, Windows cannot search other than on the active partition (not necessarily hd(0,0)). EasyBCD has been especially coded to handle situations where it's on a different drive, which is just one of the many benefits it offers.
so in that case - there's no way to have Windows7 in a multi-boot configuration with a third-party boot loader?

There is, but only via EasyBCD. I think you should describe what you're trying to do in greater detail so we can try to help.

Back