How to get to the Recovery Partition?

Gub

Hello to all.
First of all, thanks to this place and the people make it work, I think is great.

Well my problem is the next, I have an Acer Aspire 5720-6382, I installed XP and the vista died.
I lost my Recovery DVD and I can't acces to the Partition that this laptop has with the recovery sistem. I can see it from Disks Manager on XP, it is shown as PQSERVICE 9.76 GB NTFS, Correct (Unknown Partition) and has no letter.

Is there any way that I can get to it and restore my windows vista?
I hope someone cane help me.

Thank you!!

You can't use this CD to reinstall Vista, if that's what you're asking.

However, if you've lost the ability to boot into Vista by installing XP, this CD can help you restore the Vista bootloader by following the instructions on that page.

Yes Gub, I was assuming you still had Vista but just couldn't access it. (If you install XP after Vista, it always overwrites Vista's bootloader, which you then have to repair - that's what this CD will do for you)
Can you still see the Vista partition from XP ?

I can't See Windows Vista partition, I think that my XP was installed over the windows vista partition...
But I can see the partition where the restore sistem is, but I have no idea how to get to it.
I've tried the Vista boot recovery CD, but it doesn't gives me the option to start from that partition... :frowning:

No - It will repair a broken Vista bootloader on an XP-after-Vista dual boot. You'll need a full Vista system to reinstall the whole OS.
I've no idea how the Acer recovery partition is accessed, but your best bet before doing anything that could damage it, is to contact Acer tech support and ask them.
You said you lost your recovery disk. This was an Acer supplied disk to reset the system back to factory default from the hidden partition right ?
If so, you'd best ask them to send you another - or do they have a downloadable copy on their site ?

Thank you Terry.

But I couldn't wait any more to Acer Tech Support, it has been 15 days now since I've been waiting to receibe the restauration dvd's, and I still have no answer...
So I couldn't wait any more and I got into the adventure hahaha. Well, I found a way.
The recovery disc gave me access to the restore partition, and I found a file called: D2D32.exe
Thats it.
I'm finishing restoring my Laptop
THANKS TO ALL FOR THIS GREAT FORUM!!!

No - It will repair a broken Vista bootloader on an XP-after-Vista dual boot. You'll need a full Vista system to reinstall the whole OS.
I've no idea how the Acer recovery partition is accessed, but your best bet before doing anything that could damage it, is to contact Acer tech support and ask them.
You said you lost your recovery disk. This was an Acer supplied disk to reset the system back to factory default from the hidden partition right ?
If so, you'd best ask them to send you another - or do they have a downloadable copy on their site ?

Great News Gub,
Did you use the 3rd option "CompletePC Restore" to access your recovery partition ?
Please post details that could help someone else with a similar problem in the future.
Very happy for you getting your Vista back, sorry I wasn't more help.

If you want to dual-boot, have a good read of the wiki first. It's got all the info you'll need (or links to it) and it's always better to have a good idea of what's going to happen before you start on such an enterprise. (and to have your toolset in place in advance)

Hello Terry, and thanks :grinning:

Well, I didn't use the 3rd option "CompletePc Restore" because it was askingme for an image of my windows in a saved HDD.
Well, the good thing is that the "Vista Recovery Bood Disc" enabled me to se and access to the restore partition of my laptop, in my case was "F:" So, I used the 5th option "Command prompt" to search arround it, to try to find the restauration program. And I did, I found in one of the folders, a program called D2D32.exe and I remembered that in my chipset setup is an option called D2D recovery. So I run that program, and here I am, in Windows Vista again :grinning:
I will be back and edit the first post with the steps exactly, I'm going to try to restore it again, so I can grab the steps.

Glad everything's back working Gub. Your last post seems fine as an explanation, don't go to the bother of doing it all again.

Back