How to install the Windows 10 Technical Preview: Everything you need to know

Jim Walker

Distinguished Member
How to install the Windows 10 Technical Preview: Everything you need to know

How to install the Windows 10 Technical Preview: Everything you need to know | PCWorld

"Are you ready to walk on the wild side? Windows 10 is on the horizon, and even though it’s still roughly three-quarters of a year away from completion, Microsoft’s giving IT Pros and PC enthusiasts an early taste of what’s to come with the Windows 10 Technical Preview.

This isn’t like Windows 8’s Consumer Preview; the Windows 10 Technical Preview is being released via a new “Windows Insider” program that asks for user feedback and even provides private forums for discussing trouble spots with Microsoft engineers. Lots of things are sure to change going forward, from features to basic elements of the operating system."

Hands-on with Microsoft's new Windows 10: UI changes that look great at first blush

Hands-on with Microsoft's new Windows 10: UI changes that look great at first blush | PCWorld

Windows 10 tips: Your first 30 minutes with the Tech Preview

Windows 10 tips: Your first 30 minutes with the Technical Preview

Microsoft's Windows 10: More on the 'under the covers' security, Store features

Microsoft security, Store features | ZDNet

Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise: Key features yet to appear

Windows 10 Technical Preview for Enterprise: Key features yet to appear | ZDNet

Last edited:
Yes, installed from ISO yesterday on a VMWARE Workstation 10 VM as a new Windows 8 installation. No problems installing. Runs very fast like all clean installs. I have been using Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements and Classic Search for Windows with Windows 8 and 8.1, so my opinion of start menu changes are biased right now. May like it more with use.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Added two more articles to first post.

Last edited:
Windows 10: How to uninstall preview updates

Windows 10: How to uninstall preview updates

Windows 10: How to uninstall preview updates - Neowin

"If you have installed the technical preview of Windows 10 and have an update that causes your machine to crash or perform some other undesired activity, there is an easy way to remove the updates. This will likely come in handy for some users as there are thousands of individuals running the OS and with it being in a preview state, the update process is more likely to go astray than a typical install of a stable Windows release."

Have not had this problem myself, but good to know. I have started taking VMware Workstation snapshots before applying updates.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Guide: How to install Windows 10 using VHDs

Guide: How to install Windows 10 using VHDs - Neowin

"a mini guide to creating USB media, with sections on using Rufus and Microsoft's own Windows 7 USB/DVD Tool. And here, we've put together a guide on how to create, boot to and install Windows on a VHD."

Last edited:
How to install the Windows 10 Technical Preview on a Mac

How to install the Windows 10 Technical Preview on a Mac

How to install the Windows 10 Preview on a Mac

"It may seem like mixing oil and water, but as it turns out, installing Windows on your Mac isn’t a violation of natural law—your Retina display won’t melt or anything! In fact, doing so is actually a relatively pain-free process. To give the Windows 10 Technical Preview—a very early pre-release version of Windows 10—a whirl, you don’t even have to pay for a Windows license or already have Windows on your Mac. The Technical Preview is free to test."

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Windows 10 Preview stats: Two-thirds of testers live dangerously

Windows 10 Preview stats: Two-thirds of testers live dangerously | PCWorld

"Already more than 1 million people have registered with Windows Insider to become a Windows 10 tester. Great! More than 200,000 suggestions or complaints have been filed via the Windows feedback app. Awesome! That’s what the Technical Preview’s for, after all. A full 64 percent of Windows 10 users installed the Preview straight to their hard drive."

Thanks for this update. I am going to test this out and see if Windows 10 follows the standard of being an amazing OS after a horrible OS.

We’re rolling out our first new build to the Windows Insider Program

"
Hi everyone, I’m Gabe. As Joe mentioned last week, I lead the Data & Fundamentals Team here in the Operating Systems Group (OSG). My team is responsible for a number of things, but the one I’m most excited about right now is that we’re helping to review and understand all of the feedback we get from you folks via the Windows Insider Program, and working with all of our feature teams to make changes based on what we hear. You can expect to hear from me going forward on anything regarding the Windows Insider Program – including new builds we release.
New build:

As a matter of fact, we’re rolling out a new build today – Build 9860!"

Tried the preview in a VM and not really that impressed. I was hoping that MS would bring back some of the backend controls we had in 7 (such as complete control of how drivers are installed and implemented), but this is Windows 8.1 with a few cosmetic changes as far as I'm concerned.
Due to HDD constraints with other Grid Computing VM's already going I had to ditch it anyway as I like to keep some room on all my drives, so I guess I'm, not the best judge. May try it again so I casn give a fair assessment, this time I'll give it it's own partition....when I have time.
Moved this thread to Windows Support BTW as I thought it appropriate.

Back