How to install Windows XP 32b while having W7 32b, W7 64b & W10 64b.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterBig

Hi first sorry for my english i hope everyone who can help me will understand.
I first have Windows 7 64 bits installed on my first disk(i have a total of 5 disk: 3 SSD and 2 HDD) then i installed Windows 10 64 bits Pro(upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate) and i really had a hard time because of many crashes and bugs.

Anyway after installing W7 32b i really wanted to install Windows XP 32 bits because there are some program that doesn't run after Windows XP(like games) so i currently have 3 bootable disk and there are 2 disk that has no OS installed which is a SSD and a HDD here's how it looks like:
Windows 7 64 bits(C:smile:
Windows 7 32 bits(D:smile:
Local Disk(E:smile:
Windows 10 64 bits(F:smile:
SSD Toshiba(G:smile:

I wish to install Windows XP on E which is a HDD disk but after watching a link of one of the tutorial in your site:Installing XP as a second OS
But according to the tutorial it's better for me install WinXP on the last created disk(after the letter H), but since im having 3 bootable disk it might be different.
I installed Windows 32 bits today and noticed that i don't have Windows 10 blue logo at start anymore but instead the classic black screen with white letter, i didn't tried to boot on Windows 10 yet though.

But before doing any risky stuff i'd like to have some advise from you, i think i should create a partition from Local Disk E.

Thank you anyway for your help.

It doesn't matter which drive you install XP to (please point me to the confusing text in the article and I'll try to refine it to avoid confusion in the future) - any time you install Windows XP (or any older OS, for that matter) the bootloader settings overwrite your existing. At that point, all you have to do is use EasyBCD's "Write MBR" feature to restore the latest version of the Windows bootstrap code to the bootsector and MBR of your boot device.

I have a problem that may be related, I have 5 and sometimes 6 physical disks in my mixed main server system with 6 OS' as my goal; #1. Win 7 Ultimate GPT 240GB Sandisk SSD(now a Win 7 Pro GPT), #2. Win 10 Ultimate on a 480 SSD GPT (now a solid Win 10 Pro GPT), 3. Win 7 Ultimate MBR Partition on a Seagate 1TB SSHD, 4. Win 10 MBR Ultimate partition on 2nd Seagate 1TB SSHD(now a Win 7 Ultimate) and 5. a Linux play area.

My problems have been extreme in that EasyBCD seems to change the type bootloader that it inserts for boot to be either all MBR or all GPT/EFI according to its determination of the type system that I am running. My motherboard supports MBR and EFI/GPT and Auto to switch if necessary to EFI. I have a 4TB WD drive that I use for bulk storage and backups that forces the system into EFI. This worked pretty well until I relied on EasyBCD to handle the bootloading and then I would have problems with accessing the Win 7 Pro Partition in GPT. The Win 10 Partition and Win 7 Ultimate all could handle the switching to GPT from MBR on the fly but EasyBCD seems to place conflicting loaders on the Win 7 Pro in any switching, this causes that system to crash each time. Then I do some tweaking and accidentally get the Win 7 pro GPT to properly reboot. This is a real problem as I have much work loaded on the Win 7 Pro GPT system and it will not upgrade to Ultimate and I do not want to reload all the programs onto a virgin Win 7 Ultimate.

That above was to place all things in context for presenting the question, Is there a way to have EasyBCD NOT wipeout the working boot loader when using the nice functions of shifting OS'? I like Ireboot and have a very dynamic base of 4 - 5 systems with a need to have it rock solid in booting and I have My Cloud Mirrors for backup and Internet access when away. I want only a major catastrophe to be capable of making my systems inoperable. I want redundant hot boots ready for all OS' should any OS go out and to have it all backed up on an 8TB Seagate USB external. I also want to have a container cage for adding software so that I minimize the impact of any new addition going astray. The server is a 32GB 6 core unit with 2 SSD's running a 3,500MHz with a 2GB GPU and 28" full UHD monitor.

All help/words are appreciated, I have invested much in the Win 7 Pro system so I do want the knowledge of keeping it since it won't upgrade. I do not want to buy a fix that is part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back