How to remove boot folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
fyi, my HP 500-314 system came with Windows pre-installed, and the Boot folder was always there. It was filled with dozens of subdirs that looked very odd and had little files in most of them. It wasnt for disk space, but just useless clutter that I wanted rid of it. The cloning is something only discovered recently, and if someone who actually needed this weird folder to boot, if they did try what I said, and cloned their drive first, if their clone should fail to boot afterwards, wouldn't they be able to simply put their original drive back in and still be fine?!? I cant imagine why not. Anyhow, the title of this thread was "How to Remove the Boot folder" and at least I answered the question for those that do want to find out what would happen!

These solid state drives are the best computer upgrade in decades, in my opinion. Everything is so blazing fast with them now, especially booting the system. Lately I've bought many used mSATA modules on ebay, $15 for 32gb, $20 for 60gb, and put them in enclosures, and have multiple clones of my system, and also purchased many used HP 500-314 computers, and have them all duplicates of each other. Only one talks to the internet, so if I should get hacked or malware infested, I have many backups.

I just read post #9 again, and it still utterly confuses me. Since I had no idea what you were saying, or that my system was a UEFI one, how would I know to mention it? Why didnt you ask me about it, since you knew how relevent it was, etc, etc... I'm not actually asking you these questions, but just complaining again after a few days of mulling over your complaints towards me. In any case, I dont care any more, whatsoever, and it just gives me yet one more reason to hate Windows software, convolutions upon convolutions to the max. Purposely obfuscating itself with unnecessary complexities, imho.... I hope someday to finally get time to convert over to Linux, and just keep Windows for entertainment purposes. It sucks as a system. It invites insecurity by default, by hiding everything from the users, like file extensions, for example. So many annoyances. O'Reilly used to publish books about that. But enough. Who cares! Not me.

"So long, and thanks for all the fish." ~ Douglas Adams

First thing I do with a newly installed OS, is unhide everything and turn filetypes back on.
http://neosmart.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=700&d=1235661652
I'm not quite so jaundiced about Windows as yourself, though the fact that I have W10 but don't use it all the while W7 is still in full support, should tell you something.
I used Linux for a few years (many years back), but I still find W7 is the thing which suits best what I need to be able to do.
I suggest you drown your sorrows with a quick pangalactic gargleblaster.

I knew you had to be a HHGTTG fan, The coastline designer was a dead give-away. Somewhere I have a list of items to go thru with a new install of Widows. Here is one of my first to-do items: Windows-performance.jpg

Well, okay, I appreciate your concern for my possible disaster, so let me give some more detail in case any others are listening and care. First of all, I'm in no danger of problem with doing this. Ever since I became aware of SSD (solid state drives), I have been set free from fear of Windows boogymonsters. I was concerned about what Windows actually needed, so I cloned my boot drive and did everything there as a test. As for my being disenclined to believe absolutist dogma and declarations, I have a long history of seeking out the truth of matters, and not just believing what I'm told. I didnt trust your declarations, but that UK website you mentioned looked very useful at getting more general info, and I will read and consider it when I have the time. I am less inclined to read the Microsoft one, as I have been using Dos and Windows since it began, and know it is full of convoluted bulloney, and their help system has NEVER been helpful in the many times I have wasted hours reading their crap. I have much to say about what a nasty, insecure system it is, by default, and each new version I get has all the same stupid issues, plus always a few new nasty behaviours and features to figure out, if possible... but that is beyond the scope here.

What I do believe and trust in, is the so-called scientific method, of trying things and observing what happens. Thus I blew the Boot folder away, and observed zero issues thus far. As I said, I am not doing any multi-boot stuff. I do use Cygwin, which I love, when I need some unix tools to get things done.

I just went thru the process again with another clone, and will let you see what I did, in case you or others want to try it at home. But of course, I strongly recommend doing it on a clone, just in case you do screw up. Attached below are some images showing how to get rid of the"Boot" folder. First, select the Boot folder and bring up the properties dialog. Select the Security tab, then click the Advanced button. Click the Change button for the Owner property, set it to Administrators. Check the Replace owner on subcontainer box and click Apply. You get a popup telling you to close the properties before continuing. Do that, and bring it back up. Now select the Administrators for the folder. Check the box to "Replace all child object perms" and click Enable Inheritance. You get a scary Security warning. Click Yes, and ok to close the dialog. Now you can delete the Boot folder, but only as Admin. At present, I have no idea what I actually changed inside Windows perms, but hope that UK website will better inform me just what that was all about.
its work ! Great

Well, okay, I appreciate your concern for my possible disaster, so let me give some more detail in case any others are listening and care. First of all, I'm in no danger of problem with doing this. Ever since I became aware of SSD (solid state drives), I have been set free from fear of Windows boogymonsters. I was concerned about what Windows actually needed, so I cloned my boot drive and did everything there as a test. As for my being disenclined to believe absolutist dogma and declarations, I have a long history of seeking out the truth of matters, and not just believing what I'm told. I didnt trust your declarations, but that UK website you mentioned looked very useful at getting more general info, and I will read and consider it when I have the time. I am less inclined to read the Microsoft one, as I have been using Dos and Windows since it began, and know it is full of convoluted bulloney, and their help system has NEVER been helpful in the many times I have wasted hours reading their crap. I have much to say about what a nasty, insecure system it is, by default, and each new version I get has all the same stupid issues, plus always a few new nasty behaviours and features to figure out, if possible... but that is beyond the scope here.

What I do believe and trust in, is the so-called scientific method, of trying things and observing what happens. Thus I blew the Boot folder away, and observed zero issues thus far. As I said, I am not doing any multi-boot stuff. I do use Cygwin, which I love, when I need some unix tools to get things done.

I just went thru the process again with another clone, and will let you see what I did, in case you or others want to try it at home. But of course, I strongly recommend doing it on a clone, just in case you do screw up. Attached below are some images showing how to get rid of the"Boot" folder. First, select the Boot folder and bring up the properties dialog. Select the Security tab, then click the Advanced button. Click the Change button for the Owner property, set it to Administrators. Check the Replace owner on subcontainer box and click Apply. You get a popup telling you to close the properties before continuing. Do that, and bring it back up. Now select the Administrators for the folder. Check the box to "Replace all child object perms" and click Enable Inheritance. You get a scary Security warning. Click Yes, and ok to close the dialog. Now you can delete the Boot folder, but only as Admin. At present, I have no idea what I actually changed inside Windows perms, but hope that UK website will better inform me just what that was all about.
i have another question about computer man , do u have instagram that contact u directly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back