How to restoring to default boot entries?

chokpa

I was using my windows 8.1 machine with easybcd, easyre etc to fix a windows 7 sp1 machine which had stuffed up its MBR/boot record.

So i've fixed the Win 7 machine but in the process I accidentally stuffed the boot entries for the windows 8 machine. Stupid I know..

Is there a way to recover or rebuild it? All the images and easyRE are on this machine so yeah.. in a bit of a bind.

I followed this guide before restarting (had an idea this would happen) Fixing the Windows Bootloader via the setup DVD but it cannot find bootrec.exe

Any help please?

EDIT: Basically i'd like to know how to revert to a stock standard window 8.1 boot order. Thanks!

edit2: just booted into easyRE and tried automated repair. Says it cant find any windows partitions.. uh oh.. Though it may be only looking in the USB..

Last edited:
Ran it thrice with easyRE and it found nothing. As far as I know win8.1 has no available ISOs so not sure how I can repair using windows.

Do i do that by installing win 7 first?

Can I use evaluation edition to boot command prompt?

edit: Progress!

I followed the nuclear holocaust instructions after booting with the 8.1 evaluation edition CD. I could open command prompt like this. My boot partition is E: drive

The only changes I made were to define the relative paths to:
C:\Windows\system32\winload.exe
C:\Windows

As that is where my windows files are. I'm not sure if I should keep them relative or if the device and osdevice partitions should be pointing to my boot partition or where my windows files are stored.

It eventually gives me the error C:\Windows\system32\winload.exe is missing.

Last edited:
If you haven't already done so, use the 8.1 ISO to do the startup repair three times.

Back