how to split dual boot on 2 seperate hard drives.

Terry - if I keep the xp drive disconected when using windows 7, can i then assume that xp cannot mess up the restore points on win 7?

thank you

Daryl

Thank you Jake -
Therefore can I assume that when I boot up windows 7 I can leave windows xp connected (with no effect on windows 7 restore points) but when i boot up windows xp I need to disconnect windows 7 hard drive?

If this is the case, how can I partition off some of the space from windows xp hard drive to use as additional storage space - The windows xp hard drive currently shows that the 500gb hd (463gb actual) has 380gb of free space (83gb used by xp). I could do with this 380gb as a seperate partition to store data.

Thank you,

Daryl

Last edited:
Thank you Jake -
Therefore can I assume that when I boot up windows 7 I can leave windows xp connected (with no effect on windows 7 restore points) but when i boot up windows xp I need to disconnect windows 7 hard drive?
Yes, that is correct. Win 7 doesn't touch XP's restore points. Its the other way around.
If this is the case, how can I partition off some of the space from windows xp hard drive to use as additional storage space - The windows xp hard drive currently shows that the 500gb hd (463gb actual) has 380gb of free space (83gb used by xp). I could do with this 380gb as a seperate partition to store data.

Thank you,

Daryl
You can use Disk Management to resize the XP partition to make room for another partition. Then just create a new NTFS-formatted partition from the free space.

Back