Hp Pavillion/Win XP/My Version of Hell

Zamion

Hello! I am currently writing you from a 10 year old gateway with a broken CD rom drive and a horrible penchant for whining. This is not, however, WHY I'm writing you...rather I'm using it because my real computer is down, and I need help.

I have an HP Pavillion a1110n, maybe 2 years old. Everything is factory standard, nothing has been changed. Yesterday while watching movies she shut down suddenly, and has refused to restart. I'm getting the error message:
Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
Please report this problem as :
load needed DLLs for kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem.

I tried system recovery to no avail. I tried to recover from the recovery partition (Ha! Fat Chance...) and then tried from the discs. There are 11 Recovery CD's that came with my computer, and 1 supplemental recovery CD. I get all the way to disc 11, to around 86%, and I get a file copying error. The system reboots, and we're back to the DLL error.

I got in contact with HP, and they told me to try a "Destructive Recovery". I started that, and it got partially through before giving me this:

112047 MB done; 40580 MB left
Hard drive write error!
Press any key to continue.

Help? I'm not sure if there's something else I can try, or if this is a hardware problem, and something needs tweaked/screwed in/replaced/etc.

Any help is vastly appreciated!

Hi Zamion, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

It sounds to me like you hard drive has quit on you... :frowning:
HP is not famous for using the highest-quailty parts, and the symptoms you list (sudden system shutdown, inability to reboot, hard drive write errors, etc) are all textbook signs of a corrupted HD.

You don't really have many options - you'll have to replace the drive with a new one (they're not expensive) before you can get tyour computer working again.

Once you've got a working mchine again you can attempt to recover data off the old drive.

Back