Huge news: Microsoft to stop releasing Windows versions

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Jerry Nixon, a Microsoft development executive, said in a conference speech this week that Windows 10 would be the "last version" of the dominant desktop software.

His comments were echoed by Microsoft which said it would update Windows in future in an "ongoing manner".

Instead of new stand-alone versions, Windows 10 would be improved in regular instalments, the firm said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32658340

Why do I feel both anticipation and dread, I wonder? Let's hope it works, but it sounds to me like life will be an endless "Service Pack:" story, no?

Yeah, Nadella is really shaking things up. If they pull it off right (read: better than even OS X does currently), it could be awesome. Best implementation of seamless rolling updates that occurs to my mind is Chrome. Something like that in Windows....

Agreed. I have an iPad & iOS updates would be a lot better if they were smaller and more frequent perhaps. The same would go for my Android Nexus 7. Neither of which are really much more than a novelty for me as with increasing age I need larger screens in order to do serious stuff.
I noticed over the last year or two that MS have been issuing increasing numbers of "out-of-band" updates so it's almost like they are giving us some practice.
Pity I lost my MVP status because I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Redmond - I used to have some very useful contacts at MS back then.
At least they let me keep my OS licenses.

Looks like you'll only to buy one more OS license and then you're set for life.
(Which makes no sense for Microsoft. Unless they're planning on making all their money off enterprise and OEM, which doesn't not make sense.)

Well I'll get 10 for free but then after that, who knows? They seem to be going to the pay-per-use model, but it's early days yet.

Well I'll get 10 for free but then after that, who knows? They seem to be going to the pay-per-use model, but it's early days yet.

Oh yeah. Lol, I forgot.

Maybe you'll never have to pay for an OS again, unless you buy a new PC that doesn't come with one? Interesting times, interesting times...

Well I can't see this Alienware hardware lasting forever. I've already replaced a fan, augmented memory (doubled), added other bits and replaced 2 of the 3 hard drives, so It'll eventually probably be an OriginPC Professional one, if I can afford it.

I just looked up OriginPC. Very interest company, reminds me of AlienWare before the Dell merger/acquisition. I presume that's the niche they're trying to fill?

It's run in Florida by the guys that quit or were let go when Dell took over Alienware. So that's why you think that :wink:
I just wish they'd extend financing across the Canadian border.
OK, what's happened to my signature boxes logo etc?

If you've done that much update/maintenance work on the PC Peter, you have all the requisite skills to build a new custom PC from scratch (Come to that, if you've ever built a wall in Lego you have all the requisite skills).
You can have exactly what you want without the price-premium.

I really don't know much about the innards of a computer as so much is changing.
Adding memory was easy, simply match the current one and fill the spare slots.
Replacing a fan was easy and adding TV Tuner and Fax Modem cards was hardly technical neither was replacing HDD's with a better brand and edition of the same thing - really doesn't call for any skills.
I realise that one can save enormous amounts of money doing it from scratch ones self, but the thing would probably blow up in my hands, believe me!!
That's why I was dreading a PSU failure when I asked the other week about a slow startup....my PSU is not modular and is hard wired into the case with some pretty intricate Alienware "hiding of cables".....something they were very good at. The other side of my case where the underside of the motherboard can be exposed, is so tightly packed I'd almost be bound to screw up.

P.S. never owned a Lego set, but did have Meccano when I was a child. I do, however, have a mini Lego Wizard sitting beside me which came with the Lego Movie which, for some reason, I was compelled to watch in glorious 3D HD Ugh, only redeemed by the fact that Morgan Freeman voiced Viruvius the Wizard. 3D effects were good though, I will admit.
LOL

The reason I compared it to Lego, is because it is all literally just plugging modules into the mobo.
The mobo comes with an instruction book and all the wiring and if you get a case with space behind the mobo, you can route most of it out of sight.
Anything critical can generally only plug into one place anyway. The few single wires are not critical, just things like LEDs which won't blow your PC if you get them wrong, but they're labelled both on the plug and socket anyway.
Just to demonstrate that it's child's play
http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/12924869.Nine_year_old_builds_his_own_computer/
They're making out that he's some kind of prodigy, but the truth is, anyone can build a PC.

You could take apart your/an old PC and put it back together for practice/fun. That's how I first learned myself, actually.

You could probably scrounge the parts for a (really old, really slow) PC from eBay for 50 bucks... just enough to see if you can get it to boot.

Back