I added win XP to win 7 (one odd problem)

ighten

I added win xp to its own partition on a seperate drive to win 7.. Then used wip 7 to repair itself and then BCD 2,0 to add a boot menu.. No problems, smooth and painless..

I have one very odd problem though which is driving me crazy..

I connect to the internet through PC through a yellow ethernet cable to a thomsons router, connected through a phone line to a filter and then to my phone socket..

Win XP just cant see my network at all.. So I cant connect to the internet when I boot into win xp.. Have I missed out some obvious part?

I have one very odd problem though which is driving me crazy..

I connect to the internet through PC through a yellow ethernet cable to a thomsons router, connected through a phone line to a filter and then to my phone socket..

Win XP just cant see my network at all.. So I cant connect to the internet when I boot into win xp.. Have I missed out some obvious part?
Are you sure all elements of your hardware setup are working correctly?
How long have you had the router?
What model of router do you have?
Is your router connected to at least two networks?
Do you have a modem connected as well as a router?
Or is your "router" both a modem and a router?
Are you certain the ethernet cable is working?

Basically, we need more information in order to help you with your problem.

router is a modem Thomson 585v7 and a router I guess, just connected to this pc, think the only other thing connected to it may be a Wii..

Im using it now whenever I boot to win 7 to come on to this forum, so its working fine..

ipconfig /all when in xp says "not recognized as an internal or external command"

router is a modem Thomson 585v7 and a router I guess, just connected to this pc, think the only other thing connected to it may be a Wii..
Well, the router part of it must be connected to at least two networks in order to work.
So I guess you're really asking about your modem, in which case your modem will need to be configured correctly in order to work. Even if it is connected, it will still need to be configured.
Usually, modems come with some kind of installation and configuration guide. Did yours not come with one?
Here's a guide I found for your model online:
Thomson 585v7 Wireless Router - Setup Guide
Im using it now whenever I boot to win 7 to come on to this forum, so its working fine..
Ok, so I guess the problem is you will need to configure your modem from XP, which I assume you never did.
ipconfig /all when in xp says "not recognized as an internal or external command"
Are you sure you typed it correctly?

If it's a router that came from your broadband ISP, you should also have got from them a "set up your PC" installation CD, which will have two options.
Set up first PC, which you used to get it working on W7, and which also configured the router itself.
Add another PC, which you'll need to run on other PCs in the network, or in your case on the other system(s) in your multi-boot. That will configure the OS to find and use the existing internet connection already configured in your router.

XP cant even see any network or the router though?

There are no such options on the installation disc and the setup disc simply says it cant find the thomson gateway!

When I look at the device manager in xp I dont have an ethernet controller! yet its (obviously fine in Win 7).. Is Win 7 somehow putting it to sleep and when I boot into XP its not waking up?

OK solved it... Bit of a DOH!

Hadn't installed the drivers back to the win xp for the ethernet controller

Last edited:
XP cant even see any network or the router though?

There are no such options on the installation disc and the setup disc simply says it cant find the thomson gateway!

When I look at the device manager in xp I dont have an ethernet controller! yet its (obviously fine in Win 7).. Is Win 7 somehow putting it to sleep and when I boot into XP its not waking up?
Well, that's obviously your problem then. You'll need to install the driver for it in XP.
OK solved it... Bit of a DOH!

Hadn't installed the drivers back to the win xp for the ethernet controller
Glad you got it working.

Back