I bricked my PC with EasyBCD

(okay, i dont think its bricked, but that rhymed :smile:. i will need to procure an XP pro CD to repair though)

hi everybody, im new to this forum. i hate for my 1st post to be a question, but...here goes:
i am currently dual-booting vista (drive c) and xp (partition D), and to start with, everything worked great; i got the OS selection screen, and was able to boot into either one, as i pleased (i used easyBCD 1.6 to configure). after a while, i descided i wanted to change the primary OS to vista, so i did, using EBCD 1.6, but it screwed the XP boot files to where it would not boot, but showed a message saying there was an error in the 'ntldr', along with an error code. so, i selected to boot into vista, which it did just fine. using EBCD, i was able delete/restore the vista bootloader, giving me a method of switching between xp and vista. that brings me to the 1st question: does anyone know how i can restore both bootloaders?? i tried with EBCD, and failed every time.
in the process of trying to restore both OSs, i downloaded EBCD v1.7 and messed with some basic settings and guess what... i busted the vista bootloader as well as the xp one, so now i have no functioning OSs...bad. very bad. im going to grab my xp repair cd and get xp up and running, but i cant understand what went wrong... im at college, so i kinda need a working computer.
okay, my shpeel is over. does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks a ton, LuckyEdBoy

^ hello EdBoy :smile:

dont worry, EVERYONES first post (for the most part) is a question lol

idk what to tell you though im sorry, so... yeah sorry

have you tried to boot the HD soley through bootmenu?

does it still not work? how are you posting now if you cant get it working? library maybe?

idk um, if that XP repair doesnt work, (which idk if it will or not, seeing as Vista is one the C: drive... ) if you can get back into vista SOME HOW, you can remake the vista bootloader. okay

im sorry for being of almost no help at all im sure :frowning:

^ hello EdBoy :smile:

dont worry, EVERYONES first post (for the most part) is a question lol

idk what to tell you though im sorry, so... yeah sorry

have you tried to boot the HD soley through bootmenu?

does it still not work? how are you posting now if you cant get it working? library maybe?

idk um, if that XP repair doesnt work, (which idk if it will or not, seeing as Vista is one the C: drive... ) if you can get back into vista SOME HOW, you can remake the vista bootloader. okay

im sorry for being of almost no help at all im sure :frowning:

ya, im on in the computer lab. my lappy is repairing as i speak(type). im sure ill be able to get back into vista, but it goes back to my original question: how do i get it to not screw up XPs boot while writing the boot for Vista? im sure im doing something wrong, but what? or is it a bug in EasyBCD?

Hi Luckyed, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

EasyBCD doesn't mess around with any XP bootfiles, regardless of whether you have them or not. Most likely, the configuration of boot.ini was not compatible with the EasyBCD settings, and that crashed your XP.

Directions on dual-booting Windows XP and dealing with the NTLDR error can be found at Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Back