I destroyed Windows 7, after restoring MBR with EasyBCD

discovery

Hello there,

I have in my computer Win 7 and a Linux OS, dual booting with MBR. I wanted to restore MBR and I thought to use Easy BCD.

I don't remember the error that EASYBCD gave me, and I proceeded with the option Restore MBR. After that, now I have missing operating system. The worst thing is that windows partition is not seen by booting through Win 7 dvd. Using commands bootrec.exe /fixmbr or bootrec.exe /fixboot doesn't help also.

Any help please? Don't tell that I need to reinstall win 7 from beggining... :shame:

Thanks again

P.s. Hi, this is my first post.

Addendum:

Never mind. I resolved using Diskpart utility and made my partition active throught it. Now the bootrec.exe command solved the situation. please close this thread.

Last edited:

Ex_Brit

Older but no wiser
Staff member
Welcome to the group and glad you solved the situation.

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
What level of EasyBCD are you using ?
There is no "restore MBR" in the current level.
iirc there used to be one in conjunction with a "Backup MBR", but that would need you to have done such a backup, and for nothing else to have changed.
If you regressed the W7 bootloader by allowing Linux to replace it, changing the MBR to search for a (now) non-existent bootmgr is going to leave you with neither OS bootable.
What you needed was EasyBCD 2.2 > BCD Deployment > Install Vista/7 boot loader > Write MBR