I have a strange situation ?maybe?

I hate that this needs to be a saga, but please be patient.
I put together a new box, all new components. Intsalled Windows Vista on the HD without a problem. In the past I've always taken the old hd from the former system and started the copy and paste of documents, pictures and everything else, which is exactly what I started to do. I installed the old HD into the box, hooked it up and started the computer and because my BIOS was set to start that paticular drive first (just a cable select not on purpose) it went ahead and start the old HD with Winows XP. I had to re activate it as it was now in a different environment, but after doing the telephone activation it started and booted up without a problem. This is a first!!!! Ive never had an HD load up to a new motherboard!
SO.... I can now hit the F12 key at start up and choose which drive to boot as the BIOS allows me to choose which HD I want to boot, and it all works, and why am I here?
I want to use Easy BCD and not have to "train" the family to run old XP programs by interrupting the boot log in the BIOS.
So far I haven't been able to make it work,
XP is on the "H" drive, Vista is on the "C" drive.
Thanks for your help

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Hi Never, welcome to NST.
Boot Vista
Download EasyBCD 2.0 latest build.
Use the "add/remove" entries tab and select the correct NT/XP system type from the dropdown and add an entry for your XP system.
Accept the offer to auto-configure your XP boot, and Easy2 will create the BCD entry, copy the necessary XP boot files to Vista, and create a correctly configured boot.ini in the Vista root to locate your XP system. Don't change the disk information for XP from C: to H: (the BCD points to the boot files not to XP, boot.ini points to XP)
It's all in the sticky thread.

Thank you, I read the sticky several times before posting, and I've followed the instructions to a tee, but when it tried to load the XP on "H" I get an error looking for the ...."Windows Boot Manager has experienced a problem.
File: \ntldr......error.
So my guess is the ntldr isn't correct on the "C" drive even after Easy does the correction.

Boot.ini on drive "C" is
[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP on H:\" /fastdetect

Last edited:

Terry60

Staff member
paste the outout from the EasyBCD settings page (in debug mode).

as requested

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {acdf4b0b-d973-11dd-8634-eb71a65f7450}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {acdf4b0c-d973-11dd-8634-eb71a65f7450}
nx OptIn
Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {4e1622a4-650c-11de-88e8-00241d8539f4}
device partition=C:
path \NTLDR
description Microsoft Windows XP

Terry60

Staff member
Are you using EasyBCD 2.0 ? and did it offer to auto-configure ?
Paste the contents of the C:\boot.ini it created, and check that the C:\NTLDR and C:\ntdetect.com files are also present. (you'll need folder options set like this to see them)

Yes, using Easy 2.0, and yes did the auto config
NO The ntldr and ntdect are not in the root of "C" or should I say were not on the root "C" so i copied them from this site and put them there, and
Works like a charm!!!!!
Now to set up Ireboot and mission accomplished!!
Thank you, the check is in the mail, great little program!!!!!

Terry60

Staff member
Were you using build 63 ? That's the one that added automatic placement of the other 2 boot files.
Previous builds just gave a message that a manual copy of the files was needed.

2.0.0.53 is the version number, I know it asked the question but it also told me it would "auto-config" for me, maybe I read it wrong,
Just looked at the thread I downloaded it from and see I selected the top version in the list not the bottom version, so I have build 53 not 63, I gather 63 is a better version. BUT.... Just for grins should I download 63, delete the two ntdlr and ntdect from the c and see if it writes them? My guess is you already know it will.
Like I said it works like a charm