I have dual boot system Vista/XP - I want to delete everything..

thijs12

So i have a dual boot system with Vista and XP.
I want to delete EVERYTHING, so that i can install Windows 7.
That i only have Windows 7, how do i do this?
im not that great with dual boot systems, so could someone please give me a step to step tutorial on how to do this!? Thanks so much!:grinning:

Backup everything important with a Ubuntu disc.
Boot from Windows 7 disc > Repair computer > Next > Command Prompt:

diskpart
select disk 0
clean
exit
exit

Now hit x in upper right hand corner and click install now to continue with installation of Windows 7.

Just start the W7 install, and then early on, when it's looking for space, take the "custom" option.
In the next screen you can tell it to delete and format all the previous partitions and use them for W7.

Or that way, just make sure you delete everything so theres nothing left but "Unallocated Space" before hitting next.

Does it matter which OS i start it on for Terry's method?
do i have to boot from the disc, or can i just insert the disc when im in my OS?
also my windows vista is installed on the C:\ Drive and my XP on the E:\.

Last edited:
You haft to boot from the installation disc, after all you're wiping everything out on the drive.

You haft to boot from the installation disc, after all you're wiping everything out on the drive.
So when i put in install disc, i select custom, then do i have to DELETE or FORMAT the vista and xp drives?
because i want to keep my drives themselfs, but i want to delete the boot system.
so that i only have windows 7 installed nothing else.

Last edited:
Theres no way to get rid of the OSes without reformatting or deleting their partitions. This is why I suggested backing up important data before attempting to install Windows 7.

Back