I have got a mess here.

Noxqus

I have a multi boot system, three systems each on their own drive. The original setup was install oldest to newest. That was w7p (Gaming OS) w7u (video, photos, sound editing OS) W10 (everything else OS). All worked good as I had to set the bios to legacy to use the Microsoft boot loader. Well the mother board had an issue just after the fall feature update failed to install, no sound. I sent the board back to Asus for repairs where they updated the bios and the firmware and it has been messed up sense then. Still no sound. I had all sorts of entries in the bios to boot to the CD/DVD 6 entries, a flash drive 6 entries, after much reading I was able to get P-5 the w10 G:\ drive positioned for first boot. It appears now that the system is using EFI boot loader to boot. I have all three listed to launch from each one, and it did that for a while then all of a sudden I try and launch w7u, I get check disk and it proceeds to delete thousands of entries and reset the ids. Now it won't boot, how do I fix this? Separate the drives and just do a cd repair on it or change the BCD.

Yes, I found the upgrade to w7p to w10 didn't have these items you discussed unchecked. I have now taken care of the problem. After reading the post I immediately check the w10 I was on to find I must have done that some time ago but don't know when. I rebooted to w10 on the w7p drive and sure enough that hasn't been done there. Thinking back that is when I encountered the chkdsk problem going to w7u drive. What do you suggest going forward to retrieve w7u drive? Separating the drives and only work on the one or is there another option you know of.

On W10, delete the W7 entry from the BCD and add it again pointing to the drive letter that W10 Explorer calls W7u.
Try rebooting into W7u and describe any problem or error code.

Unfortunately I got this message to late. I replaced the problem drive with a clone that I had made back in January. That system is back and booting. I had planned to change all the drives to new ones that were cloned with the originals. Well I couldn't get them to boot so I contacted Acronis about it, thinking that if it is an exact copy they should have worked but after speaking with them I have found a few things that had changed with the hardware that needed to be corrected. The bios needed to be set to legacy, not being set there caused all the clones to have a 100 mb UeFI partition. So the drive didn't have a win loader that was correct. I had to correct that by separating the drives and do a repair from disc, then place all drives back in and it all worked. Now the task is to make sure the last of the three drives is able to boot on its own. Once that is done with fingers and toes crossed I should be able to replace the other two drives with the new ones. I appreciate your assistance and the tip about the dirty bit as that is what caused the loss of the E drive in the first place. Wish me luck.

Back