I Just Blew Up My House....

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
#1
More or less....

I opened the microwave door, and there was a loud blast, tons of smoke, a bright flash, and no power.
The wall socket from the kitchen to the circuit breaker was smoked, marble charred, and the entire fuse box smoking hot (and needless to say, not working)..

It turns out the extension cord i was using for the coffee machine had fused together with the microwave wire somehow, and the entire thing went off like an A-Bomb when the microwave needed power for the light.....


:blank:
 

Ex_Brit

If you're going through hell, keep going
Staff member
#3
Yikes...did the appliances survive? I guess your fusebox needs replacing or were things better than it appeared at first and all you need is to replace fuses?
I'm glad I have circuit breakers.
Especially with my jury-rigged wiring. I have a 220v line running from the stove connection across the kitchen to my (illegal) hot-air dryer. So far nothing has exploded.
 

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
#4
Lol, that's the funny thing.

When I replaced the outlets & the fusebox, everything else was working again :smile:
 

Sarge

Active Member
#5
Ex_Brit said:
I have a 220v line running from the stove connection across the kitchen to my (illegal) hot-air dryer. So far nothing has exploded.
I got 220v around whole house! Even my computer is running with 220v, and all hardware in the house works great (so far) :smile:.

Um... Guru, cool thing is that everything works again :smile:. What a experience! I had something like that years ago... but not that big smoke and all that :smile:.
 

Ex_Brit

If you're going through hell, keep going
Staff member
#6
Sarge said:
Ex_Brit said:
I have a 220v line running from the stove connection across the kitchen to my (illegal) hot-air dryer. So far nothing has exploded.
I got 220v around whole house! Even my computer is running with 220v, and all hardware in the house works great (so far) :smile:.

Um... Guru, cool thing is that everything works again :smile:. What a experience! I had something like that years ago... but not that big smoke and all that :smile:.
Well don't forget North America is still 110v for everything except heavy appliances such as electric stove and dryer.
I live in an apartment complex where we aren't supposed to have our own washers, dryers and dishwashers. I have all three of course...to heck with them.
CG glad everything is fixed.
:grinning: