I need help on a vBulletin websites IE7 behaviour

Ex_Brit

Staff member
As most of you know, for better or for worse, I am stuck with being a Moderator at the McAfee Security Forums, ( http://community.mcafee.com/ ) and I have endless problems navigating that forum using IE7, but not when I use Firefox.
I don't have the same problems navigating here and it is vBulletin - the same host as this board.
You don't have to join McAfee Forums to navigate there so I'd appreciate anyone's advice.
In IE7 the first thing I do when I'm there is usually click "New Posts" - this may work sometimes, but often just hangs forever, or gives me a completely blank page.
Clicking other links and buttons often does the same thing. I either have to hit ESC and start over or refresh the page and it will then work.
If I go to edit a post, the little twirly thingy will go on for ever sometimes. All part of the same problem I suspect. (I then have to click "Go Advanced" and it will then work).
As far as I know my IE7 settings are normal - Security and Advanced tabs are at "Default" except for one setting on Advanced which is "Empty temporary Internet files folder when browser is exited" - I have that checked.
The webmaster says it's me that is the problem - nice guy.
I empty my cache regularly and am up to date with M$ - so what gives?
Sorry Sarge, but I prefer to use IE7, despite all the cosmetic tweaks that one can do to Firefox.

Wow - you have a hell of a lot of posts there, Peter :|

I doubt this will make a difference, but anyway: Increase the number of simultaneous downloads in Internet Explorer 7 at Vista Rewired

OK, here's the thing: a week or so before I switched servers, I was getting the same exact problem on our vBulletin forum.

Normally when this error comes and you press "Advanced" you'd see a PHP error at the top of the page - except McAfee has disabled these errors from showing for security reasons; so that error won't actually print, but it's effects will be felt.

For NeoSmart Technologies, I solved by using the tools.php file distributed in the vBulletin package to rebuild the "Language Cache"

If he asks why it only happens with you... I don't know if you remember Peter, but you once had a problem here on NST where you would get a database error on your account (and only yours) when using IE7 (and only IE7) - that was a problem with the vBulletin database.

So, vBulletin can have problems that only a single person experiences and even then, only when using a certain browser. As for the problem itself, when I had it here I fixed it by rebuilding the language cache.

You can tell him it's perfectly safe to rebuild the language cache, it does not lose or reset any data - just makes sure that the Database values for the language are in-sync with those in vB settings.

Bottom line: it's nothing wrong on your end... probably.

Thanks very much for the prompt reply CG. I've just done step one - the 2 registry entries. Now I'll pluck up the courage to email him yet again.
I thought it was strange that this would happen with only 1 vBulletin board and not any of the several others I belong to.
Convincing the guy at McAfee is another matter...he thinks they it's my fault, naturally.

Last edited:
It is a very odd error - but I've experienced several of them with vBulletin (and I've only been using it so long).

vBulletin's support is awesome, and the features they have are wonderful... but a slight hiccup in the server configuration, a tiny MySQL error, and it'll start doing all sorts of weird things.

For what it's worth, you can have him email me if he likes.

:lol:

Many IT guys are stuffy :tongueout:
Like yesterday I went to pay my bills and I'm sitting there at the counter waiting for the PC to return my current balance. The account has been waiting for > 10 minutes for the PC to return the results of a single query (stupid Oracle!) and he calls the IT guy and says "it's slow again" ..... "it's since you guys switched to the new server, and it always happens at this time when everyone is using it. Can't you add a second server or something?"

Then I hear (through the headset from a couple of feet away!):
"ARE YOU AN IT PERSON? DO YOU HAVE A DEGREE? HOW DO YOU KNOW I NEED TO ADD ANOTHER SERVER FOR THE LOAD? WHO HAS THE DEGREE HERE?! YOU OR ME?"

He quickly shrugs and apologizes then hangs up.

Too many IT people are too arrogant about their knowledge that they fail to see what the users want and what they're experiencing... and that's all what matters in the first place.

I'd have asked him to pass me the headset and call them again, then remind them that they work for me, the customer.

That doesn't work here.
In the rest of the world, it's the customer that's always right. Here though, it's the guy with more money - and they have (way!) more money than me or the accountant :smile:

That's tough on the customer. Of course the cashier, if they had honed their skills at witty (bitchy?) repartee (as I have over ther years), when the IT guy said "what do you know about...", could have said "obviously more than you"...!!:brows:

A degree doesn't mean the person is intelligent.....just that they can remember stuff. We have University graduates in N. America who can't even put two words together in a proper sentence, or even spell!!

It's your money that's paying these guys. That's one thing that shines over here, customer service is number one. Plenty of competition ensures that.

Last edited:
Yeah, unfortunately here we have too many government-sponsored monopolies :frowning:

They bid (to the government) to have exclusive rights to provide service XXXXX to the entire country! :frowning:

:lol:

Many IT guys are stuffy :tongueout:
Like yesterday I went to pay my bills and I'm sitting there at the counter waiting for the PC to return my current balance. The account has been waiting for > 10 minutes for the PC to return the results of a single query (stupid Oracle!) and he calls the IT guy and says "it's slow again" ..... "it's since you guys switched to the new server, and it always happens at this time when everyone is using it. Can't you add a second server or something?"

Then I hear (through the headset from a couple of feet away!):
"ARE YOU AN IT PERSON? DO YOU HAVE A DEGREE? HOW DO YOU KNOW I NEED TO ADD ANOTHER SERVER FOR THE LOAD? WHO HAS THE DEGREE HERE?! YOU OR ME?"

He quickly shrugs and apologizes then hangs up.

Too many IT people are too arrogant about their knowledge that they fail to see what the users want and what they're experiencing... and that's all what matters in the first place.

MMAO MWHAHAHAHAHHA :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning: Although, its sad :lol:

Indeed. Like.. surviving, or... raising the money for new PC.. or... trying to enjoy something simple.. meh dreams never end.. :smile:

Back