I oopsed...

:shame:I have 32-bit Vista, and it started looping in order to fix itself; so, I reloaded Vista, but on the wrong partition. Now I am getting a stop error (the blue death screen) every other day. How do I fix the stop error, and how in the world do I get Vista off of the wrong partition?

BTW... I am using the Vista that is on the 10mb partition at the moment. Now I have to choose which partition to boot into.

I am so confused.

You could try to analyze the Crash Report which will be generated all times a crash occurs.

This post will show what you can do:

1. Download the small program WhoCrashed

2. Make sure the computer is saving your dump files. Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Startup and Recovery [Settings] Make sure that "Write Debugging Information" is set to Small Memory Dump (256kb) if it is not already.

3. Next, make sure that the folder C:\Windows\Minidump exists. If not, create it (allow permission if asked). Make sure any dumps you want to analyze, whether yours or others', are in this folder. You can ZIP/RAR the files and send them to someone else to analyze as well.

4. Install WhoCrashed. When the installer is done installing, just uncheck the box to launch, because it will give you an error that Admin privileged is required. Run from Desktop or Start Menu, and click "Analyze". A window will pop up asking you if you need to download Windows Debugging Package (WinDbg). Click Yes.

whocrashed_screen.jpg

Just as WhoCrashed will tell you at the end of your report, you're given a general picture of what's causing the problem. The report may or may not pinpoint the exact culprit(s), but will help you to further your troubleshooting. Again, feel free to ask around if you're unsure.

Thank you for all your replies. My schedule is nuts. I will download and follow all of the advice. I have to install an image composer program so that I can upload the pictures of the disk manager and the Easy BCD. Unfortunately, The Who Crashed did not work. I followed the instructions on here, and the settings were not as recommended. When I ran it, it did not find anything. :frowning:

My next day off is Monday. I will have all the time in the world to fight with this computer then.

If you follow the instruction exactly WhoCrashed will works just fine. Very important is that the Path to the Crash File location is correct. You can also install WhoCrashed on a different computer and copy that Crash to there for to read.

That Program was helping me many times

Okay... Here we go...

This is the disk manager... The notes that I put on the image did not come out as intended. J Drive is a removable hard drive.
diskmanager.jpg
Here are the others.
bcdfile.jpg

I tried the Who Crashed again. It keeps saying no information. I am so confused. I uploaded a pic of the system properties. I hope this helps with fixing the Who Crashed problem.

sysprop.jpg

:shame:I have 32-bit Vista, and it started looping in order to fix itself; so, I reloaded Vista, but on the wrong partition. Now I am getting a stop error (the blue death screen) every other day. How do I fix the stop error, and how in the world do I get Vista off of the wrong partition?

BTW... I am using the Vista that is on the 10mb partition at the moment. Now I have to choose which partition to boot into.
According to your BCD details, which you just posted, you have two "Microsoft Windows Vista" entries in your BCD, one pointed at C:/, and the other pointed at "boot". Since C:/ is both "boot" and "system" according to Disk Management, that means you have two separate entries in your BCD pointing at the same partition and Vista system.

How do you explain this?

As the both partitions on the same physical drive the problem will come from that.

It's not a good idea to use the Recovery Partition on the same same drive as the system.

If the Recovery partition were created from the manufacturer of the Laptop, the normally didn't contains a bootable and full running OS! Normally that Recovery Partitions are holding the OS and Apps in "vergin" state and would use in case of recovery to overwrite the existing installation on the system partition. Which will also results in lose of all later installed apps and private data.
As it seems to be that the Recovery Partition contains a workable Windows Vista, maybe the "original" were "overwritten" with a "Backup" of the running system.

Maybe I'm wrong with the above because the available infos are not enough.

Regarding WhoCrashed, it's very important that the DIR Minidump is existing under the Windows Root Directory. Maybe you go to the home page: http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed for more informations.

It would be a good idea to explain in details what you've done with your Laptop after purchase, I mean special Reformat of the HDD, installation of OS, Backup of running system to Recovery partition etc. etc.! Those are important infos to know to be able to help.

Thanks.

I am so confused.
Ok, on further review of your DM screenshot, first of all the "10mb partition" that you mentioned is actually a "10 GB" (BIG difference) partition, of course, which is D: and despite you saying you're running a Vista on D:, your Disk Management screenshot proves otherwise. The "boot" flag indicates the partition of the running system, and since that is C, you're obviousy VERY confused about what's really going on on your own system.

Perhaps further explanations would be helpful...

First, it is not a laptop. It is a desktop. As I do not know anything about partitions, I did not do anything to the memory. I don't not mess with things on the computer that I do not understand. All I know is that when it has the original problem, it would skip the screen that would let me boot in safe mode in order to run an anti-virus to see if I downloaded a virus. It simply would start at a screen that enables it try and pinpoint the problem and send out for a solution. Not being able to find the solution, I would exit out of the screen, and it would restart, and attempt to fix the problem again. Not being able to do that, I tried to reload windows.

According to your BCD details, which you just posted, you have two "Microsoft Windows Vista" entries in your BCD, one pointed at C:/, and the other pointed at "boot". Since C:/ is both "boot" and "system" according to Disk Management, that means you have two separate entries in your BCD pointing at the same partition and Vista system.

How do you explain this?

I can't. If I could, I would have already fixed it. I am so lost. *sigh* What you just replied with sounds like a foreign language to me.:shame:

Maybe I'm wrong with the above because the available infos are not enough.
I do not know what else to tell you. :frowning:

Are you assuming that you've put Vista on the recovery partition because it says "boot" in the BCD ?
As Jake pointed out, when normal people talk of "the boot partition" (and when EasyBCD shows "boot"), that indicates the partition which MS calls "system" in Disk Management, and which the BCD "boot manager" entry references.
In your case that's C: on all counts.
You appear to have succcessfully reinstalled Vista in the right place. You just have two BCD entries pointing to it. Use EasyBCD to delete one of them.

A
s Jake pointed out, when normal people talk of "the boot partition" (and when EasyBCD shows "boot"), that indicates the partition which MS calls "system" in Disk Management, and which the BCD "boot manager" entry references.
In your case that's C: on all counts.

Actually, when this computer programming illiterate (lol) says boot, she means the menu that Vista gives you to either boot in safe mode or normally.

You appear to have successfully reinstalled Vista in the right place. You just have two BCD entries pointing to it. Use EasyBCD to delete one of them.

Which one do I delete, and how do I delete it?

By the sounds of it, even deleting one of the virtually identical entries in your BCD wont fix your BSOD (blue screen of death). Especially, since you said you started getting the BSOD after reinstalling Vista.

To help us help you with that, the next time it comes up, mind posting the exact error messages (i.e. with the error code and all)?

Back