I seem to have a small mess on my hands with Win7 and Vista

jdftwrth

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and it looks like a place to get answers.

My system was fine until Saturday when I tried to upgrade my anti-virus pgm, when it got done with the upgrade, none of my ethernet connections worked anymore. I fooled around for an hour or to and then decided to restore my Win7 system from its backup using a backup product that shall remain nameless, this chugged along for about an hour and then just stopped. No disk activity, no keyboard response, just plain dead.

I let it sit for 30 min and it remained lifeless, so i tried to reboot both of the win-7 systems neither budge so i popped the install disk in and tried recovery i announced that both images had fatal errors and to contact a priest for last rights.

Fortunately I had the original Vista system on another drive and was able to boot it, to it was a backup system to i formatted the original win-7 drive and restored the vista system to it, once it booted ok i redid the win7 upgrade again and it booted just fine, i moved my apps and related files back to the new win-7 system and things were going along pretty good, so i figured I would reinstall the nameless backup software and do a backup again. it did a complete copy and announced it things were great.

Just for grins I rebooted by win-7 system and it said it could not find anything to boot. I popped the install disk back in and it found all three of the systems and fixed the bcd file. I was able to reboot and went on about my business, on sunday I did another backup and things were hosed again.

I spent some time poking around with easy bcd and noticed some strange things,

My primary win-7 is system on Drive C:
My backup win-7 is system on Drive M:
MY vista is system on Drive K:

There are a total of 3 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default:
Timeout: 30 seconds.
Boot Drive: M:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)
BCD ID: {e96a8d02-143a-11df-9586-ec8478633081}
Drive: M:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #3
Name: Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate (recovered)
BCD ID: {e96a8d03-143a-11df-9586-ec8478633081}
Drive: K:\

Now my question is: Why is my boot drive M: ?

Shouldn't it by on Drive C:?

I hope some one can shed some light on how to fix this problem. Because I really need to do backups on a regular basis,

Thanks,

JD

When you have multiple Longhorn systems, they'll all use the same BCD.
Presumably M came before the others, so the later systems added themselves to its BCD.
Have you got the correct HDD first in the BIOS boot sequence ?
If the installs were to different HDDs, there could be more than one BCD, but the one controlling the boot will depend on the BIOS sequence.
What's your problem with it being M anyway ?
We can help you move it if you really want. Post a screenshot of your Disk Management as detailed in the sticky thread last 2 points, if you need any more help.

Back