I think I found my problem

flywheel

After doing the steps to install XP after vista... I found that when I look at my disk manager on both installations, they both think they are the C: drive, depending on which installation is loaded. I found this by constantly running repair cd's. I have no clue what is wrong.

Hi flywheel, welcome to NST
Nothing is wrong here. That is typical behavior. It shouldn't have any negative impact on using the computer. Unless you want it to be different (which will take a little more work to do), the only thing that matters is that you can boot either of them.

Have a read of the wiki.
That's the way most people probably have their dual boot set up. (not me).
The lettering is only the way the booted OS sees the world in its internal memory (or the registry to be exact). There's no physical lettering attached to the HDD, just the disk label (which will be the same on both systems for that reason).

When dual booting from two different drives each version was installed with the other drive unplugged as stand alone installations. Once XP was added into the Vista boot options that still sees itself as C when selected at startup. The one tip even if the dual boot is on the same drive is to reserve D as the drive letter for the other version installed no matter which version you are booted into.

That makes more sense. I am currently booted into XP, and i erased my entries and re added to include: Xp on drive C: and vista on drive D: saved my entries and rebooted. My machine then went straight into xp again. what am I forgetting?

Ok haha. I looked at my entries and it assigned letter U for vista. after changing that back to D: I was able to successfully boot into both. Easier than I made it seem. My only problem now is when vista boots I get an error saying it had a problem with starting services.exe and bex i think it was called shut it down. I was not able to connect to the internet via browser, but my torrent program worked fine. I'm not sure if this problem is related.

Another Edit:As soon as Vista starts i quickly open fire fox when the connection icon still says not connected in the task bar and i type in random google requests. It works fine. Then when the connection icon says active the connection doesnt work. im confuzzled

Thanks for all your help

Last edited:
When booting Vista you have to wait a good minute or so for all startups to finish loading. If you try to get on even with IE it will stall since items are still loading in the background. Simply move the cursor over various items even the Start taskbar and you'll see the spinning circle moving at times.

For the services.exe problem press the F8 key at startup to see if the last known configuration that worked option is displayed in the boot options screen there. Try using that if seen.

When booting Vista you have to wait a good minute or so for all startups to finish loading. If you try to get on even with IE it will stall since items are still loading in the background. Simply move the cursor over various items even the Start taskbar and you'll see the spinning circle moving at times.

For the services.exe problem press the F8 key at startup to see if the last known configuration that worked option is displayed in the boot options screen there. Try using that if seen.

I think you are reading it backwards. Firefox "Works" as soon as startup begins. Once my connection icon says "connected" firefox stops working. I think this has to do with the services thing. Samething in explorer

I think something is unloading as soon as the desktop is fully loaded. How are you connected online?

With my xp os. And my vista startup seems unusually too fast... It says preparing desktop for like 2 seconds and then boom its done.

It's likely something just finishing up loading that is knocking the connection out on you. This is why I was asking about how you connect there.

I see, I am connected via cable modem. I think this is what you are asking. I am trying my vista boot, then when I have no connection I reboot in xp so I can respond to the thread.

It sounds more like a driver problem. Are you using onboard Lan or usb on the modem there? The Lan method is stable while usb can be a nuisance at times. One little hiccup and you get knocked off and have to restart the system. I see enough of that with an older usb adapter to hard wire to hub method.

Ok this thread went from annoying problem to nightmare... whats up?

If you changing around letters started these problems switch them back. As you can see, Windows doesn't like you trying to change where it stores itself. Your dual-boot will work perfectly fine with no problems.

Im using the onboard LAN. here is a screenshot of the repair wizard built into vista. I dont know if this has to do with the dual boot or not.
Untitled.jpg

Remember, this happens only a minute or so of perfectly fine working internet connection after start up. Wont connect at all. Didn't have a problem before the dual boot installation.

Last edited:
Code:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

Try that from a command prompt. Check your adapter's tcp/ip properties to assure they recieve an address automatically. If you're using wireless and have a third party network management tool installed for your adapter, disable it and use Windows built-in tool. Go to your router interface and release/renew your public IP. Verify your DHCP server is working properly....

Another idea besides the use of the command prompt would be looking in the device manager itself under network adapters. Sometimes you have refresh the drivers by selecting the update driver option and seeing them reinstalled.

I tried those commands and it didn't work. I am connected straight from my cable modem as well.

I found something while googling that may help my problem. should I try this?

When Winsock corrupts, the networking errors that you may face include unable to surf the Internet with “Page cannot be displayed” error message in Internet Explorer or AOL even though the DSL/ADSL/cable Internet connection is connected. Sometimes, Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service is terminated as well. To repair and reset the Windows Vista

1. Click on Start button.
  2. Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
  3. Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=&quot][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=&quot]keyboard [/FONT][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=&quot]shortcut[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] to run [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=&quot][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=&quot]Command [/FONT][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=&quot]Prompt[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
  4. Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
  5. Restart the computer.
What netsh winsock reset command does are it resets Winsock Catalog to a clean state or default configuration. It removes all Winsock LSP (Layered Service Providers) previously installed, including the potential malfunctioned LSP that causes loss of network packets transmission failure. So all previously-installed LSPs must be reinstalled. This command does not affect Winsock Name Space Provider entries.
Note: To check which LSPs installed on your Vista system, use netsh winsock show catalog command.

The only way to find out if it will for you there is to give it a try. The last option on the screen you posted earlier was another thing to look at there rather then just the top option.

Back